add on: DIS*Player

Posted: 1/21/2008 2:51:09 AM
fairplay

Hi,

browsing Fred Nachbaurs site at http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk/ I found his DIS*Player-unit; has anyone built/tried this device?

As I learned that Fred had died recently I am hesitant trying to find access to the prepared soldering-boards/kits he offers on his site, so if someone has seen, built or used this device, I'd be interested in any information I can get...

TIA.
Posted: 1/21/2008 1:42:59 PM
MarkT

Yes, I have built one of these, well I did a few years ago and it has been on a backburner ever since.
But I am now in the process of getting it going fully. The volume section works but I am losing the pitch signal somewhere, I am planning on sorting this out very soon, it is on my to do list.

From what I recall, It was originally intended for the Theremax and the pitch signal was taken from the collector of Q8.
Could a kind Theremax owner measure the voltage at this point and post the result as this would help me in my testing?

I was sorry to hear of Freds passing, we exchanged a few emails and he seemed like a decent bloke.

Is there much interest in this add on device?
If so perhaps a new batch of PCBs could be made?

Regards

MarkT
Posted: 1/21/2008 1:46:40 PM
MarkT

Duh! Its 2 - 5 volts according to the Theremax website, but can someone confirm this please?

Many thanks

MarkT
Posted: 1/21/2008 1:55:20 PM
fairplay

Hi MarkT,

well, I'd be interested in 2 PCBs (I have one Theremax here and plan on building another one with a couple of mods).

Today I ordered all the parts (from three different dealers) from Freds list, and almost everything was available; at the moment I am missing a couple of capacitors, but I hope that I'll either find them or that they can be replaced...
Posted: 1/22/2008 7:41:27 AM
MarkT

Hello fairplay

Well thats 2 PCBs then! Any more interested in this?

What caps are you missing?

Can you confirm that voltage measurement?

Thanks and regards

MarkT
Posted: 1/22/2008 1:42:01 PM
fairplay

Hi MarkT,

those are the capacitors I did not yet find:

C7, C20, C21 - 0.01 µF disc ceramic
C8 - 0.02 µF mylar, 5%
C9 - 0.47 µF 16V electrolytic or tantalum C10, C22 - 0.10 µF mylar or ceramic C11 - 0.20 µF mylar or ceramic

(0.01 µF) | [use these values
(0.22 µF) | for lowest note=
(0.05 µF) | A(110) option. See
(0.10 µF) | text]

...can the 0,01µF also be expressed as 10pF?

Regarding the voltage: sorry, I have no measureing-equipment at hand (I did not build the Theremax myself, but bought it built: http://www.myspace.com/portabletheremin - I dare not to recommend it at this time; for me the 'form-factor' was most important, as I travel about 20 days per month, but I think the metal near the antennas is too much and prevents me from even being able to tune the thing. I might need to move this to an all-wood-travel-case...); I'll try to find out though...
Posted: 1/22/2008 4:09:21 PM
kkissinger

Count me in! Yes Yes... if there are any PCB's available for the Dis*player I would be interested.

[i]-- Kevin[/i]
Posted: 1/22/2008 7:01:06 PM
MarkT

Now that is 3!

Well it certainly will be possible to get some PCBs made up, all the files seem to be on Freds site, but it would be better to get more than 3 made up.
Would there be more interest in a complete kit of parts?
How much of a rush is everyone in?

fairplay

...can the 0,01µF also be expressed as 10pF?
NO! 0.01µF = 10nF
These are all fairly common values, but if you get stuck shout and I'll get some to you.

Regards

MarkT
Posted: 1/23/2008 1:10:19 PM
kkissinger

I kit of parts would be welcome, of course. Either way would be fine with me.

To have a PCB would save a lot of time... I'm not really set up here to make my own PCBs.

[i]-- Kevin[/i]
Posted: 1/24/2008 3:58:44 AM
fairplay

...well; I'd be good for either

- 1 kit + 1 PCB or
- 2 kits...

I browsed the german offers from PCB-makers (eg. http://www.leiterplattenservice.com/code/info_pcbpoolseriexxs.html), and as far as I understand, for a 'pool' of 10 double-sided PCBs the price starts at about 29,75 euros per piece, going down to 12,31 euros per piece when ordering 50 PCBs.

The layout for the PCB must be in one of these formats (not available from Fred as far as I can see):

TARGET *.T2001/300*
EAGLE *.BRD
PROTEL *.PCB/DDB
ORCAD *.MAX
UltiBOARD *.DDF
PROTEUS *.LYT
SPRINT *.LAY
QUICKROUTE *.PCB
EASY-PC *.PCB
EDWin *.EDB/EPB
PCAD *.PCB
GC-Prevue *.GWK

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.