Pitch reversed on Etherwave Kit

Posted: 2/6/2008 6:10:01 PM
jasont

I purchased an Etherwave Kit and just finished assembling it. It shipped with two damaged inductors (I think?) that Moog is shipping replacements for. I managed to do a really sketchy fix on them just to see if I could get the thing to work (I waited a month for it to be sent from Guitar Center). The plan is to replace them once I get the parts in the mail.

When I turned the unit on, I got a tone, but the pitch seems reversed. When my hand is closer to the antenna the pitch is lower, and when I move it away the pitch gets higher. This seems to be opposite from what the manual and the included DVD show.

Any suggestions? It could be the inductors and the problem will go away when I replace them. I'm wondering however if I've perhaps wired something backwards. I double checked all the connections according to the instructions, and they seem okay, and I used a multimeter to check the connections.

Has anyone else ever encountered this problem? It seems that the volume antenna works fine. Thanks in advance! Can't wait to get it working properly!!
Posted: 2/7/2008 4:08:10 AM
Thierry

If you get a variable pitch (in whatever direction), that means that the oscillators and also the inductors are in fact working.

If pitch is reversed (goes down when approaching the pitch antenna), it may only be a tuning / adjusting issue. This happens if the variable pitch oscillator has a too high frequency or the fixed pitch oscillator has a too low frequency (note: the difference is important). You should tune/adjust the oscillators in a manner that the fixed pitch oscillator's frequency is slightly higher than the variable oscillator's frequency and all will be fine.

You may have a look on these links to get more information:

http://www.moogmusic.com/manuals/ewave_user.pdf

http://www.moogmusic.com/manuals/HotRodEtherwav.pdf
Posted: 2/9/2008 6:53:46 PM
jasont

Thanks, I'll try this out!
Posted: 2/10/2008 3:30:04 AM
jasont

That worked! Thank you very much for the advice.
Posted: 2/10/2008 8:45:01 AM
Thierry

You're welcome! :-)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.