No sound! I need help!

Posted: 3/24/2008 5:14:43 PM
spacemanlove

okay-
so i know nothing really about this stuff, but i really wanted a theremin for a piece i'm doing (i'm a sculptor).
so i bought a kit from theraminkits.com, i'm hoping someone is familiar with this site- and i am having trouble and have really no clue where to start trying to trouble shoot.
here is what is wrong:
i hear that low buzz when i turn the power on, you know the one that all electronics get, but i'm getting no other sound.
here is what i've double checked for- i can't seem to see any place where bridging from soldering is, i've triple checked this, and everything seems to be in it's proper position on the board. maybe somehow the circuit chip got damaged?
i know this is hard to give advice on without seeing the actual object in front of you, but if anyone has any suggestions i'll be happy to listen- and also, i'm in the nyc area, so if anyone knows of a place i could take it, that would be helpful too.
thank you!
-Aimee
Posted: 3/25/2008 3:56:42 PM
MarkT

You have a Jaycar/Silicon Chip Theremin.
There are at least two threads all about fault finding these in the Theremin Construction Forum.

Have a read through that and see if that helps.
Failing that, I can fix it for you.

Sculpture and Theremin? Any more details?

Regards

MarkT
Posted: 4/1/2008 11:51:26 AM
spacemanlove

thanks- i'll look into those.
this sculpture i'm working on is with balance boards and the way people flail their arms will control the theremin sounds. i've been starting to work with sound in my work- i've been writing music using a program based on fractals- but i thought it would be cool for the instant gratification of the theremin.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.