maybe maybe power supply issues

Posted: 6/18/2008 9:29:54 AM
antmanbee

I bought a B3 theremin from the US, I live in Australia, so naturally it came with an american power suply plug pack, I need to get it transferred over, but it is becoming a headache when I thought it would be simple. I asked an electrician to look at it, he wants to put a 55$ transformer on it and charge me 132$ for labour, that's not gonna happen, and I'm not sure even if his way will work, he mentioned stuff about different frequencies which went over my head. So what can I do? any aussies with an idea?

The theremin is powered through the plug pack outside the theremin, nothing but wires on the inside.

halp
Posted: 6/18/2008 12:52:24 PM
Thierry

The quick and dirty method:

1) Disconnect the external power supply from mains voltage!!! (Disclaimer)

2) Cut the two wires (black and black/white) which go into the B3 at 4 inches or 10cm from the housing.

3) Go and buy a similar external power supply for your country with 12V unregulated or 15V regulated output voltage and at least 200mA. This should cost less than 15 USD.

4) Cut and throw away the low voltage slug.

5) Check the polarity of the two wires with a multimeter.

6) Solder the positive wire to the black/white wire of the B3 and the negative one to the black only wire.

7) Wrap insulating tape around each single of your both solderings in order to prevent short circuits.

8) Plug in, switch on, play and be happy.

9) Include my soul in your evening prayer... ;-)
Posted: 6/24/2008 3:39:44 AM
Thierry

OK, it is not your fault that I have lots of difficulties in writing English and that I needed almost half an hour to write the previous posting in order to help you to solve your problem.

A simple "Thank you, I got it to work" would have motivated me to spend time helping others also in the future even in a language which I do not really master. But without any feedback I don't know if it is worth the effort.
Posted: 6/24/2008 6:29:03 AM
antmanbee

I'm really sorry man, I haven't been on here for a while and have just come back now to check.

The information is really appreciated, and I am going to have my cousin(electrician) to have a go at it, because I have no experience with soldering and electronics.

And I will show him this information

THANK YOU
Posted: 7/1/2008 11:33:26 AM
Thierry

In the meantime there exists a documentation for a less quick and dirty method:

http://thereminworld.com/forum.asp?cmd=p&T=3434&F=3

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.