minimum theramin (art harrison) questions...

Posted: 10/31/2008 1:27:37 PM
BlackEdition

so i would like to get my feet wet in theremin building (and then dry them to minimize electrocution risk). i would like to build the art harrison minimum theramin first as well as the optical variety (check my other thread for questions about that one :)).

i have schematics, but i am concerned about something. i would like to buy everything from radioshack, and i can't find any hex inverters there. do any of you know of any radioshack components that would fit the bill? if not i can order from an online parts store (anyone have any favorites?).

the art harrison theremin has very clear instructions, but, i have two questions. first of all, what is the flat braid that is referenced in the diagram? do i connect any of the components to it? the second question is, can i use a 9v wall wort for the power connections? i would like to be able to use it without batteries. if i were to use the wall wort would i use a coax power jack (female) as the input plug?

thanks!

http://home.att.net/~theremin1/101/101.html
Posted: 10/31/2008 2:02:17 PM
djpb_designs

A couple of years ago you might have been able to build this one from Radio Shack parts ... not so anymore. They have very few if any "discrete" digital parts now. They have gone to carrying only BASICSTAMP-like modules and a handful of analog parts.

You'd be better off to look for surplus electronic stores in your area or make use of mail order houses like Mouser or Digikey. Both of these distributors have websites and will do small orders.

Don
Posted: 10/31/2008 3:41:43 PM
BlackEdition

is mouser legit? i am just a bit leary of ordering from any online store that doesn't accept paypal.

just to clarify, i should be able to pick up everything other than the hex inverters from radioshack, correct?

also, is it possible to mod this minimum theremin to a full fledged theramin with a volume antenna as well? i don't think that i am going to be adding the volume antenna right out of the gate, but i think that i might want to at least make a theramin with a volume antenna in the future (but retain the simplicity of the harrison design).

i am a drummer and have a really cool idea for a theremin application within my drumkit!
thanks for the info!
Posted: 11/3/2008 11:42:21 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"is mouser legit? i am just a bit leary of ordering from any online store that doesn't accept paypal."

LOL! - My expieriences with paypal has led me to the opposite conclusion.. Anyone who only accepts paypal wont get any orders from me!
Posted: 11/4/2008 12:07:33 AM
BlackEdition

haha...

we'll see. i ordered from mouser. i am a bit confused as to the quantities that i am going to be receiving for some of the parts that i ordered because i couldn't seem to get a feel as to whether or not i was buying the components individually or if they were sending them to me in bulk... we'll see when the order gets here this friday!
Posted: 11/8/2008 6:00:10 PM
BlackEdition

is there an easy way to hook the minimum theremin to a wall wart? i don't want to chew through batteries. thanks!
Posted: 11/11/2008 10:19:09 AM
Alexander

"is mouser legit? i am just a bit leary of ordering from any online store that doesn't accept paypal."

I have a friend in the nigerian aristocracy who advises me on these matters, I will see to it that he gets in touch with you.
Posted: 11/11/2008 6:01:39 PM
djpb_designs

Don't know how it is for those from other countries, but I regularly buy from both Mouser and Digikey and they are the most reputable places I know of!

Allied Electronics is a very big distributor, but their prices are very high. There are a few surplus houses (All Electronics, for example) that have interesting parts, but when their stock is gone, its gone for good.

MCM Electronics, Antique Electronic Supply and Parts Express are ok to deal with, but only for certain things. For generic caps, resistors, ICs etc you are better off buying from Mouser or Digikey.

About the worst place to deal with (apologies to Christopher :) ) is Radio Shack. They seem hell bent on becoming just another cell phone store. Each year, more and more part types disappear from their inventory. Most times the clerks ask me what the parts I am buying are used for ... they have only been trained how to up-sell cell phones.

Don
Posted: 11/11/2008 11:03:33 PM
BlackEdition

so...

i ordered from mouser, and it worked well, but, i misread the quantities and ordered too few parts. thus, i ordered the rest of the parts and am waiting for them.

i really would like to use a 9v wall wart instead of 9v batteries. do you think that that is going to work and safe and everything? i just want to make sure! thanks!
Posted: 11/13/2008 7:05:21 PM
djpb_designs

The walwort will work fine, but you must make sure you have the right polarity. Walwort plugs vary from unit to unit. Sometimes they connect + to the outer shell, sometimes to the inner pin.

The best bet is to check the walwort's output with a DMM on DC Volts setting.

Don

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.