optical theremin ala radioshack question

Posted: 10/31/2008 1:30:17 PM
BlackEdition

i would like to connect a 1/4 inch output jack to this theremin so that i can run it through a quitar amp. i would just do that by connecting the jack where the "line out" is in the circuit diagram, right?

http://rsinventionlab.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/theremin-schematic.gif

i would also like to use a wall wort with this device. any suggestions?

thanks!
Posted: 10/31/2008 1:56:51 PM
djpb_designs

Sure ... that's easy. If you would care to email me directly (don.parrish-bell@L-3com.com) I can send you a PDF with details on how to do this.

Don
Posted: 10/31/2008 3:42:51 PM
BlackEdition

cool...

as long as it is as easy as just soldering in a quarter inch jack instead of the line out, i think that i got it covered. thanks a lot!
Posted: 11/10/2008 3:22:37 PM
djpb_designs

Well you might want to put a 100k audio taper pot across the output to drop the level down to a value that doesn't clip the guitar amp input.

The full clockwise terminal goes to the theremin output, the full counterclockwise terminal goes to ground and the wiper goes to the tip connection of the jack.

You will have to experiment a bit to get the right balance between the guitar amp's volume control and this new output level control. The tradeoff will be between hiss & hum vs undistorted signal level. If you are familiar with guitar amps that have both volume and master volume controls, you will understand what I mean here.

Don

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.