EM Theremin! Help?

Posted: 1/23/2009 2:45:56 AM
nilsOhm

HI all!
i'm trying building an EM Theremin (Bob's article from 1996).
i would really need some help in understanding how L5, L6 and L11 are connected and mounted on the PCB.
i'm speaking about the variable coils. in the schematics they only have 2 pins connected but in the diagram description they have at least 5 pins (yeah i know that the diagram shows just 2 of them connected but..) what shall i do with the other pins?
hope i was clear enough..
and thanx for all your help!

/Nils

Just to be clear..
Here's the two variable inductors:

link (http://sigma.octopart.com/4098/datasheet/Toko-154ANS-T1019Z.pdf)
and
link (http://sigma.octopart.com/4098/datasheet/Toko-RWRS-T1015Z.pdf)

but i still can't understand how they are connected and placed on the board..
i mean, is it really just two pins connected? could anyone of you, who owns an EM theremin, open it and check it?

/Nils
Posted: 1/24/2009 7:29:50 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

There are 5 pins on these inductors..

(A) O O (D)

(B) O

(C) O O (E)

Only pins A and C should be connected - Cut pin B off, leave pins D and E unconnected..

If you mount the components as shown in the article, C1 should line up with pins A and C of L5, and C5 should line up with pins A and C of L6.

good luck!
Posted: 1/25/2009 7:04:08 AM
nilsOhm

thanks a lot FredM!
You're my new God!

/Nils
Posted: 1/25/2009 8:32:25 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"You're my new God!"

LOL! - Please.. NO! -- I have enough trouble from 'replaced' gods as it is... :))

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.