how to modify PAiA Theremax volume antenna to inverted mode?

Posted: 2/10/2009 4:13:09 PM
therefinn

Hi,
i recently bought the Paia theremax kit and i would need it to work in reverse mode for the volume antenna, so that the volume increases as you move towards the antenna.

I saw something on their homepage about it but i didnt understand anything. Can someone please tell me exactly how to do it? I am a beginner at this...

Thanks!
Posted: 2/11/2009 3:01:54 AM
Thierry

I looked on the Paia website but couldn't find the needed information. Could you please post a link? When I will have seen their explanation I will most probably be able to help you!
Posted: 2/11/2009 3:20:53 AM
snuffy406

The instructions for setting the Theremax so volume increases as you get closer to the antenna are on "Illustration Supplement" page 5, which comes stapled in the middle of the instruction booklet. It's the same sheet that has the troubleshooting guide. Paia calls this setting "Controller mode" Here's what it says:
"To set up for Controller Mode operation, tune L3 for volume null with your hand removed from the antenna. Remember that as L3 is turned there will be two peaks in volume. It is the null between these peaks that is your target, not the "quiet zones" when the slug is fully "out" or "in". You will find that the front panel Vol Trim control has much more effect when operating in the Controller Mode than in the Theremin Mode and that after you have gotten close to null by adjusting L3, an exact null can be dialed in with this control. Actually, response is increased if the Vol Trim is just a little clockwise from null. Turn the knob fully clockwise then back off until the output just goes quiet; turning any further counter clockwise from this will reduce the hand range. Range of response is from about 14 inches down to 1/2 inch, but getting your hand too close to the antenna will cause the volume to decrease and finally go off when the antenna is touched."
Posted: 2/11/2009 3:30:05 PM
therefinn

Thank you guys for your replies!

Unfortunately i couldnt get it to work. I might need to solve some issues with the actual theremin first though. The pitch antenna seems to work properly (i have a large round antenna for it and it takes effect from almost 4 feet away), but the volume antenna doesnt give any effect...and the sound is very strange. It's heavily distorted and sounds like the grounding comes trough, although im pretty sure it doesnt...

Any suggestions? PAiA's troubeshooting guide wasnt that helpful at this point :(
Posted: 2/11/2009 4:21:39 PM
Thierry

So take your oscilloscope and verify the output amplitude and frequency of the two volume oscillators (Pin 4 of each L3 and L4). If they're OK you should check the product at the volume mixer output before and behind the low pass filter (R59).

Let us know how that looks and we'll be able to help you with the diagnostic.
Posted: 2/12/2009 3:01:45 PM
therefinn

sorry, i dont have access to an oscilloscope :( any way to do it with something else?
Posted: 2/12/2009 3:08:06 PM
Thierry

No oscilloscope as a theremin builder? That's like servicing the ignition timing of a 1968 Dodge engine without a stroboscope lamp. There are some tools one must have!

If not you may give this article a try:
Click (http://www.paia.com/ProdArticles/thertune.htm)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.