Advice to people posting technical enquiries..

Posted: 4/22/2009 11:48:11 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Dear Friends,

I know it is probably not my place to give this 'lecture' - but sod it! There are a few of us on this particular forum who carry most of the 'weight' - I, for one, enjoy this role - but spare time available to all of us, is a limited commodity.

So PLEASE .. Spend some time forming your question, and PLEASE Give ALL the information relevant to the enquiry - Relevant information includes, but is not limited to:

The Make, Model, or Schematic if you are building a Theremin... Identify the project CLEARLY!

A LINK to the relevant website where data (construction plans, schematics etc) can be found.

Some information on your technical competency.

Details of ANY modification you are making / intend to make, to the Theremin or project you are discussing.

[b]TELL US if what you are doing is a college or university project[/b] - It makes ALL the difference to how we address your enquiry! We are [b]HAPPY to help students[/b] - but it gets frustrating to find out, after giving advice, that you have no interest in a good playable Theremin - all you want is to pass! ... [b]We can HELP YOU TO PASS easier if we know you are a student![/b]

If you are a student, tell us EXACTLY what you have been instructed to design / build.. What you may NOT do, and what you MUST do.. And also tell us HOW MUCH TIME you have to do it - and ANY other constraints, such as parts you MUST or MUST NOT use, cost constraints etc.
Posted: 4/26/2009 10:03:53 AM
omhoge

Thanks FredM, every little bit helps.
And only a few can write as much as well :~)

Don't forget to try the Search too.
Posted: 4/26/2009 10:16:40 AM
Jeff S

Fred - I agree completely, and I am often frustrated for the same reasons. However, I have found this to be a chronic problem in all aspects of communication. It is especially surprising when it is coming from highly educated people in positions of authority. You would think they of all people would know better.

I don't know if asking will change anything...but it can't hurt.
Posted: 4/26/2009 3:23:42 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Hi Omhoge and Jeff.. I am glad no-one was upset by this posting - sort of expected to be jumped on because I was too gruff! :)

[i]"I don't know if asking will change anything...but it can't hurt."[/i]

Hmmm.. I sort of doubt that this will make any difference in the first instant - but I have a cunning scheme ;) ...

Next time I read a posting which badly fails the criterion, I will reply by simply posting a link to this! - And tell them they only get my help if they leave a comment here so I know they have at least 'visited' this thread ... I can see this thread going into overflow.. LOL! :-))
Posted: 9/24/2009 1:55:19 AM
FredM

Just posting this message to pop this topic into view.. There have been quite a few recent posts where following this advice would have saved us time.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.