Case Sizes (For the Jaycar Kit, if it makes a difference)

Posted: 4/30/2009 2:32:24 PM
Gesi

I read through the old topic on the Jaycar kit, but I didn't see this answered, and rather than necropost, I thought I would ask here.

I just received the kit today (CAT. NO. KC5295) and when I ordered it, I had already read that it would be largely unusable without a bigger case. But everyone kept mentioning the length between antennas, which I understand is the most important distance, but other than that, does it matter?

I'm asking because I just want a simple cheap case to start, and I have on hand a wooden box that is 12" x 11" x 1 3/4" (or 31.5 cm x 28.8 cm x 5.5 cm for those of us using logical measurement systems). Now I know 12" is still a bit small between antennas, but I figure just to toy around with while I look for something else suitable it should be okay.

My question is; will 1 3/4" (5.5 cm) be deep enough? I haven't assembled the kit yet, but just eyeballing it, it looks like it would be tall enough to house everything, so I'm wondering is there a reason it should be deeper (or maybe it won't fit, I don't know yet)?

Thanks
Posted: 4/30/2009 3:55:52 PM
Thierry

If you replace the volume plate by a "classical" loop, you will get the required distance even with a 31.5 cm case. It's not the distance between the antennas which counts the most but the distance between the volume hand and the pitch antenna is important, so that you don't influence pitch with it.

The circuit board is 2.5cm or 1" high, the top being the voltage regulator REG1 which might be bent at the side to reduce height. So you only have 1.8cm or 0.72" with the IF cans.

If have taken pictures while placing and soldering the components on the circuit board and put them with comments on facebook. If you want to see them just add me (Thierry Frenkel) to your friends there.
Posted: 5/1/2009 11:36:14 AM
Gesi

Thanks Thierry, that's exactly the good news I was looking for. I'll look more into making a loop for my theremin too. I'll check you out on facebook for the pictures thanks.

Gesi

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.