"Analogue" Synthesis using LTSPICE

Posted: 6/11/2009 5:27:17 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

I use the LTSPICE circuit simulator quite extensively, it is reliable, robust, simple and free..
An interesting set of ready-to-run simulations has just appeared here (http://www.instructables.com/id/Analog-Sound-Synthesis-on-Your-Computer/) .. I have not run these (too busy right now) but they look simple, and should be quite easy to adapt for Theremin Simulation.

Fred Mundell
Fundamental Designs Ltd.
Electronics Consultant.
<- See Profile Image for Email.
Designer of Theremins and other alternative electronic music controllers and instruments.

Posted: 6/12/2009 3:32:52 AM
Thierry

Looks very interesting, but too busy at this moment too. Will look at it on sunday.

Thank you, Fred!
Posted: 6/12/2009 7:01:58 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

There is one serious limitation with LTSPICE (and the vast majority of circuit simulators) - There are no 'user interactive' components.. This means that one cannot have a potentiometer for adjusting while the simulator is running.. one must stop the simulation and edit the value of the resistor/s then re-start the simulation.

The above severely restricts the usability of simulations for creation of "friendly" virtual instruments..

I mention the above because I do not want people to be dissapointed - The primary function of the simulator is as a design aid or for learning - it is an ideal way for people to experiment with simple circuits to understand electronics.. The more complex the circuit becomes, the more trouble one has with the simulator - Slight circuit "errors" can cause the simulation to fail, and unless one has good understanding of the error messages and SPICE simulation, these 'failures' do not help one to find the cause of the problem.

I use LTSPICE because one can 'probe' the circuit easily as the simulation is running.. Other simulators force one to place the probes before you start the simulation.

I use Labcenter "Proteus" VSM simulator (http://www.labcenter.co.uk/products/vsm_overview.cfm#whatis) most of the time, because this has user adjustable components (potentiometers, switches etc) and "real" display components (LED's LCD's etc) so one can have a complete design functioning as a virtual machine, without building anything real.. But alas, Proteus is not free!

One cannot make a virtual Theremin using any simulator I have come across - well, perhaps one could - but the Theremin would not work in the real world.

Fred Mundell
Fundamental Designs Ltd.
Electronics Consultant.
<- See Profile Image for Email.
Designer of Theremins and other alternative electronic music controllers and instruments.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.