Multiplying oscillators for CV generation ** Technical Disclosure **

Posted: 8/16/2009 10:57:30 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

**REMOVED** I have removed this content for commercial reasons.If you are interested in obtaining this information, please email me - I am happy to help those genuinely interested, but not happy to be ripped off and taken for granted!

I will not be visiting or contributing to TW much in 2013, and am unlikely to be replying to any threads.

Please feel free to contact me by email.

My email address is shown on my avatar.

Posted: 8/17/2009 1:41:41 PM
djpb_designs

Interesting, Fred!

I had not thought about this before, but maybe you could use one of the switching power supply PWM chips to do something similar to what you are suggesting. All the resources you describe are pretty much built into these chips, and they will easily run at up to about 1MHZ. These chips might even be easier to find than 4000 series CMOS chips, and might be just as cheap.

Here's an example datasheet: http://www.microsemi.com/datasheets/SG1731.pdf

Don
Posted: 8/17/2009 6:44:57 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

**REMOVED** I have removed this content for commercial reasons.If you are interested in obtaining this information, please email me - I am happy to help those genuinely interested, but not happy to be ripped off and taken for granted!

I will not be visiting or contributing to TW much in 2013, and am unlikely to be replying to any threads.

Please feel free to contact me by email.

My email address is shown on my avatar.

Posted: 8/18/2009 1:41:55 PM
djpb_designs

My thought was that the PWM chips have built in PLLs and nice driver outputs to allow you to combine a lot of the "hard stuff" in an easy to use "canned" form. Add a divide-by-N register and voila you have the hardware you described. Just not sure if they will run well at 10MHz. But the SMPS guys keep pushing the operating frequency upper limit.

There are FPGAs that have built-in facilities for phase-locked loops and digital frequency multipliers and probably some CPLDs that have something similar.

Even some of the FPGAs are in "large enough" packages to deal with. There are 44-pin PLCC sockets that can be used with the smaller (i.e. lower gate-count) parts. So you can still have a through-hole design. The tiniest FPGA is still way overkill for this application. There are also plenty of crystal clock chips at just about any frequency you want to use. And these are fairly cheap.

Don

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.