Why the B3 Pro looks so cool.

Posted: 5/16/2011 1:54:03 PM
Thomas Grillo

Hello all. Sorry to sound like a pitch-man, but if anyone's wondering why the Burns B3 Pro looks so cool, it's because one of Burns' relatives is a master wood artist. Just have a look at his site at: http://www.craftsmancreations.net/ If I could afford it, I'd commission him to do a soundboard for a diamond speaker.

Enjoy! :)
Posted: 5/17/2011 11:52:46 AM
Jason

Wow - I had no idea he did that kind of woodwork too. I love seeing that kind of craftsmanship in an instrument. It'd be great if more production theremins were made like this.

I wonder if there's much of an after market opportunity for well-made custom cabinets for Etherwaves or other popular theremins?
Posted: 5/17/2011 2:57:41 PM
Thierry

In the meantime I've got some experience in this domain, including building an Etherwave Standard into a RCA replica housing.

So if someone wants to build another cabinet for the Etherwave Standard/Plus, I'm ready to check the plans and to add my five cents.
Posted: 5/17/2011 4:20:09 PM
Amethyste

The wood looks great on the Burn's but the antenna and the volume loop need some help, I am afraid. Am I wrong to assume that it is a retractible antenna? and the volume loop looks like a bent coat hanger :(
Posted: 5/17/2011 4:27:20 PM
Thierry

Psssst... Amethyste... psssst... it is a bent coat hanger... pssssst.... ;-)
Posted: 5/17/2011 5:47:11 PM
Jeff S

I've always thought the cabinets for the Burns B3 Pro were beautiful - simple, yet elegant. To be fair, the volume antenna may be a slightly thicker wire than a wire hangar. But, neither of the antennas exude a feeling of quality and do seem extremely prone to damage. Again, to be fair, it's obvious they do serve their intended purpose adequately.

In the opposite vein, the antennas for the standard Etherwave are more robust. However, the enclosure is simple and basic. It is purely functional. For Moog Music to go any further would add unnecessary cost and place it further out of reach of potential customers.

We've seen Etherwaves mounted in various enclosures by a few people. I've had a few ideas myself, but lack the tools and the motivation to implement them. Unlike Thierry's wonderful electronic enhancements, it's doubtful that creating custom enclosures for sale would be economically feasible.
Posted: 5/17/2011 7:37:13 PM
coalport

Amethyste wrote: the antenna and the volume loop need some help....

In the humble opinion of this listener, the sound of the Burns theremin could use a little help too. I find it colorless, cold, and one-dimensional. That's just a personal opinion, I'm sure I am in the minority.
Posted: 5/18/2011 2:50:41 AM
GordonC

I would like a wooden pedestal for my theremin to replace the mike stand that currently supports it. It could have shelves for the power supply and my effects pedals and ideally would double as a rigid carry case for the instrument.

Posted: 5/18/2011 3:16:15 AM
Thierry

coalport wrote: [i]In the humble opinion of this listener, the sound of the Burns theremin could use a little help too. I find it colorless, cold, and one-dimensional. That's just a personal opinion, I'm sure I am in the minority.[/i]

There are people who like the slightly rounded and slightly asymmetrical triangle waveform of the B3 series. I personally would also like a timbre which is somewhat more bright and rich.

Although it will be not easy since the amplitude of the B3 decreases strongly with increasing audio frequencies, it's perhaps time for me to develop the B3WF01 module in order to give it a more characterful voice ... ;-)
Posted: 5/18/2011 3:16:15 AM
Thierry

deleted because of double post

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.