Why the B3 Pro looks so cool.

Posted: 5/21/2011 7:13:08 PM
Thomas Grillo

It's 6:00 PM, and I'm still here. Drat!

Anyway, I have dined at La Pyramide, and though the food was quite nice, they lack an important item from their menue, and you have to turn a knob to get it. At least Burns gives you a full 7 octave range on the B3 Pro. I have to turn a knob on the Etherwave Pro to get access to an extra octave up or down, and frankly, the tonal quality falls off quite noticably in those other ranges.

Also, I can't afford to eat at La Pyramide every day. The Etherwave Pro is already showing signs of needing professional work soon, and I'd like to reserve it for paid performances, and not waste it by practicing all day, every day on it. It's a lot chaeper to replace an Etherwave Standard, or B3 than an Etherwave Pro, Ethervox, or Wavefront Classic. I regard the latter as fine china, and the former as good everday table wear which suits my needs quite well until a special occasion comes along. Then I break out the fine china (Etherwave Pro). However, I've found the Burns theremins to be quite nice for certain classical works where the Etherwave Pro is, quite frankly, too bloody loud, and bright.

I generally voice my theremins based on the genre of music I'm playing. The EW Standards, and Wavefront get used mostly in jazz, or rock, while I use the Burns, and Etherwave Pro for classical, or light, soft jazz. It's more a question of a which theremin sounds best for a given genre for me.
Posted: 5/21/2011 9:29:25 PM
Amethyste

The Wavefront is used in Rock? It's a pretty "classic" look for the Rock genre...
Posted: 5/21/2011 11:55:18 PM
Thomas Grillo

Hi Amethyste, Actually, I regard the tone, and the look of the Travel Case Wavefront as a "rock-ish" theremin since it's so "way out there" looking. However, a student's friend commend that when the Travel Case Theremin was on a projector table that I use that has metal legs, it looked like I was grilling something in Studio A. LOL ;)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.