PAiA theremin stand

Posted: 7/31/2011 6:30:34 PM
will

i built the PAiA kit recently and it sitting on a table.

would like it on a stand of some type.

any suggestions for a DIY stand for this PAiA theremin? the box the circuit sits in is the same as what PAiA sells though i cut my own out of cheap wood.

Posted: 7/31/2011 8:45:33 PM
Jeff S

You're only limited by your imagination.

The most obvious and affordable is a microphone stand. Beyond that, you could put a nice stand together from any number of wood or plastic components. (Obviously, you should avoid large amounts of metal near the theremin.)

You could use use a fence post (turned wood or vinyl) mounted to a flat base - or a stepped base. You might make an attractive pedestal using four balusters (spindles). You could add small decorative brackets at the base.

Like I said, use your imagination and be creative.
Posted: 8/1/2011 7:57:22 PM
will

i get it now, appreciate the suggestions. already have an idea thanks to you.
Posted: 8/3/2011 10:35:49 AM
Arsimantur

My stand is made from ironing table :D It looks similar to keyboard stand, but is taller. I don't know how stable microphone stand is, but this DIY one is very stable. http://s1123.photobucket.com/albums/l557/Arsimantur/?action=view¤t=100_3582.jpg
Posted: 8/4/2011 3:29:11 AM
will

i'll be darn, an ironing board! interesting & very study.

yes, a concern of mine is the stability as i have the PAiA and the wood container "lecturn-ish" the board sits in is a bit large.

and i do have an ironing board i've never used. ;-)

thanks
Posted: 8/4/2011 3:32:50 AM
will

let me ask you this, the tubing you have for your vol & pitch, what is that and where can one get it?

what came with the PAiA is a bit thin in dimension as you know. probably to keep price down which is fine.

yeah, we have the same kit, and your stand looks quite sturdy.
Posted: 8/4/2011 10:52:59 AM
Jeff S

His "ironing board" stand closely resembles a standard x-type keyboard stand that can be had for around $20. However, I don't think they are designed to collapse enough to hold a small theremin. Some modification may be needed.
Posted: 8/4/2011 11:17:00 AM
will

never would have thought of a keyboard stand. this being my first theremin, just wasn't on the radar. i'll look around the stores here or online.

i only need it for home practice & ~20.00 is doable

cool
Posted: 8/4/2011 12:39:55 PM
GordonC

I tried a keyboard stand with my etherwave and discovered that the metal bars were too close to the antennas and interfered with the playing fields, particularly the volume.
Posted: 8/4/2011 1:03:56 PM
Jeff S

Yes, there is the metal proximity issue, but it seems Arsimantur hasn't experienced a problem with his Theremax.

The design is simple enough that anyone with the most basic woodworking skills could build one out of 1x1's, a length of 1" dowel, and a couple of bolts/nuts and a few screws, etc. However, a drill press and table saw would be helpful. One could put the pivot point up higher so that the top opens only far enough to hold the Theremax.

Perhaps this weekend I could draw it up and make a parts list. We'll see...

Can anyone provide me with the dimensions of the base of the Theremax cabinet? Is it perfectly flat? How thick is the bottom panel?

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.