Fritz Lang's Theremin Stand

Posted: 11/6/2011 3:24:54 PM
shobley

I *finally* got around to moving my Keppinger Theremin out of the old 'temporary' case and into something a bit more flattering.

This final design was inspired from watching 'Metropolis'.

http://www.stephenhobley.com/blog/2011/11/06/fritz-langs-theremin-stand/ (http://www.stephenhobley.com/blog/2011/11/06/fritz-langs-theremin-stand/)

The only problem is that the rest of the house is covered in a fine layer of MDF dust.
When they said "wear a mask" they weren't kidding.

Steve
Posted: 11/6/2011 4:25:23 PM
GordonC

I love it!
Posted: 11/6/2011 5:08:33 PM
RS Theremin

Stephen,

Simply beautiful, open artistic flair.

Did your toddler son get upset for taking his chair?

Just kidding, I also love it!!!

Christopher

Posted: 11/6/2011 5:32:43 PM
shobley

Yes - that's an astute observation, :-)

We actually have one of those high chairs...
Posted: 11/6/2011 7:45:54 PM
Jason

This is marvelous! It totally reminds me of one of those Scandanavian designed high chairs. I love how it merges a classic theremin into a modern body. Well done!!
Posted: 11/6/2011 9:45:09 PM
Jeff S

Now that's radical! I like it! It's nice to see someone "thinking outside of the box".

[edit]What I really meant was, "thinking outside of the box with an appealing result."[/edit]
Posted: 11/7/2011 7:06:47 AM
Amethyste

What a beautiful piece of art!! I am thoroughly impressed!! Please post pictures again when you have it painted/stained :)
Posted: 11/10/2011 3:47:48 AM
Arsimantur

I like it :) I would like to see it in dark or black piano finish.
Posted: 11/10/2011 7:11:47 PM
Jeff S

Not that my opinion is important, but I'm not sure a very dark or black finish would do it justice. As you can see from his temporary cabinet almost all of the chassis and other components all but disappear. The only thing that would stand out are the coil windings and a glint from a few glass vacuum tubes. The form and cutouts would also be muted, especially if the background is dark and subdued.

One of the things that make it stand out now is the almost "natural" color it has. It allows you to see the shapes and forms much more clearly and with more shading.

Perhaps I could try to do a 3D approximation with different rendered finishes. If he had an actual dimensioned sketch, it would be even better.
Posted: 11/11/2011 9:43:27 AM
shobley

[Comes back inside after 3 days in a makeshift paint booth]

Thanks for the replies!

Well I just about got enough coats of paint on before the *really* cold weather arrived.

I went with a thick black satin mix that would provide a nice base if I ever decided to go for the full gloss piano black.

I do agree with Jeff about black "losing" some of the details - and one day I would like to revisit the project with some nice wood - maybe walnut or mahogany.

But since I used Menard's best MDF for this prototype, I'm just going to have to settle for the black.

Once the paint has fully cured I'll be re-assembling and (gasp) maybe even playing it ;-)

Steve

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.