Fritz Lang's Theremin Stand

Posted: 11/13/2011 7:28:16 AM
coalport

This is an interesting question, Jeff. The RCA theremin pitch antenna is set back roughly 10.5 inches from the front of the instrument. The Moog SERIES 91 and ETHERVOX theremins are about an inch less than that. One thing that could be a problem is how far Stephen has set the rod from the right hand edge of the cabinet. It looks to be about five or six inches. The RCA's are less that two inches (RCA rods are connected to the coil by wires, Stephen's pitch rod extends upward directly from the coil itself so it can't be offset.) Whether or not a theremin player would find any of this awkward would depend on technique.

One of the things I like about the E'Pro theremin is that its pitch antenna is fixed to an arm (the "Havana cigar") that extends away from the cabinet, so there is nothing at all between the player and the rod.
Posted: 11/13/2011 10:54:11 AM
Jeff S

Yes, the "classic" theremins antennas are set back quite a ways, however, both the RCA (other than Dr. Hoffman's) and the Ethervox are on four legs with no impediments between them. This allows the player to use a wide stance or "belly up" to the instrument if need be.

For instance, I use a staggered stance with my right foot in front and left foot behind (I play "right-handed"). The bracing might force one to stand with feet together in a stiff upright position. But, you know what they say, "the proof is in the pudding".
Posted: 11/13/2011 2:06:12 PM
shobley

These are interesting questions.

The pitch antenna could be re-located, there is a wire running from the top of the coil so it could be positioned further along.

Steve

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.