Troubleshooting- Pitch help on etherwave!

Posted: 3/21/2006 5:45:16 PM
cherubhipster

Hey there. I am a fairly new theremin player so please bare with me..

As of always, my theremin pitch worked fine. it hit zero beat right around where it should, I had 24 inches of playing range from the antenna.

I recently brought it somewhere for the first time. now it's back in my house, I put it back together. I can't seem to get the pitch right. My zero beat is only when I put my hand about 10 inches away fromt he antenae max, and if I bring my hand more than 10 inches away the pitch starts to go back up again. I put the pitch knob on the most counterclockwise setting, and this is the best range I can get, 10 inches. any more clockwise and the range is even less.

did I bang up my theremin when I took it out? I didn't think so. does this problem sound familiar to anyone? Anyone have advice? I don't want to have to send it to Moog if I can help it.

Thank you so much for the help!

Lauryn
Posted: 3/21/2006 6:20:46 PM
kkissinger

Hi!

For starters, check the wingnut antenna connection... if the wingnut loosened up that could cause a problem.

If your Theremin is fairly new you may have to tweak L1 a time or two. I wouldn't take the Theremax with me without having a little screwdriver handy in case the pitch knob can't do the job -- in which case you need to tweak L1. You will get to know L1 very well!

Also, make sure the shield on the cable is not contacting anything -- particularly on the wingnut side and also, other than the ground connection, make sure the shield isn't touching anything else.

To bare with you is, well... a little kinky however to bear with you is not a problem :)
Posted: 3/21/2006 6:47:12 PM
cherubhipster

For starters, check the wingnut antenna connection... if the wingnut loosened up that could cause a problem.

got it. that part looks ok..

If your Theremin is fairly new you may have to tweak L1 a time or two. I wouldn't take the Theremax with me without having a little screwdriver handy in case the pitch knob can't do the job -- in which case you need to tweak L1. You will get to know L1 very well!

roight, so the L1 is..inside. so I have to go...inside of it. scary! I'm a music freak but not a radio wave buff. I looked at the diagrams but I am still confused..what am I looking for exactly?

Also, make sure the shield on the cable is not contacting anything -- particularly on the wingnut side and also, other than the ground connection, make sure the shield isn't touching anything else.

it's not touching anything but this cable can be kind of fickle, so maybe that's the problem. I need a new one. could it really be a loosey cable causing the trouble?

To bare with you is, well... a little kinky however to bear with you is not a problem :)

damn my bad grammar! terrible joke, but funny as well. thank you for the advice!
Posted: 3/21/2006 7:02:24 PM
kkissinger

L1 is the coil (it is a cube shaped metal can with a slotted adjustment thru the round hole in the top) that is the rightmost coil as viewed from the front of the Theremax with the top removed. You will note that there are four coils, L1 thru L4. The shielded cable for the pitch antenna attaches to the circuit board right next to L1.

If it worked before, you shouldn't need to touch the other coil adjustments, just L1.

Good luck!
Posted: 3/21/2006 7:21:31 PM
unclechristo

kevin, I think cherubhipster has a Moog, not a theremax.

just checking - perhaps comes tot he same - didnt want cherubhipster looking for coils where they aint...
Posted: 3/21/2006 7:26:34 PM
kkissinger

Oh no!!!

Hey, Chris, thanks for pointing this out!

Well, I was speaking of a Theremax, not the Etherwave -- so, of course, my description of the circuit board would not apply.

Sorry for causing you confusion.

Nonetheless, check your antenna connections, etc... and, yes... if you are uncomfortable with making your own adjustments, you will have to contact Moog Music.

:)
Posted: 3/21/2006 7:36:46 PM
cherubhipster

yes, it is a moog.

blaaaah.. well thanks anyway to both of you.

I hate to part with this thing. so the coils aren't the same then?
Posted: 3/21/2006 10:08:16 PM
kkissinger

Theremins have coils and other components however each manufacturer has their own designs.

My general suggestions about checking your antenna connections would apply to any Theremin. However, part specific suggestions (a la 'adjust coil L1') would apply to the Paia Theremin (the Theremax) and not necessarily the Moog Etherwave.

Another general issue that can affect tuning is the grounding. Try touching your fingertip to a metal part on your Etherwave -- such as the metal part of one of the 1/4 plugs -- if the tuning changes, you may have a grounding issue.

Had I read past the word "Pitch" I would have known what Theremin you are working with. :)
Posted: 3/22/2006 2:36:32 AM
Charlie D

Cherubhipster,

If you recently bought your theremin (i.e within the last year) then it may still be under warranty. I would strongly advise against taking the thing apart (which voids all warranties) unless you know exactly what to do.

Otherwise I suggest that you try the following:

1) You mentioned that you 'put it back together.' If you have a kit theremin then these are supposed to need internal tuning. They don't just fit together and play. Rather, the manual should have instructions on how to alter the small coils in order to change the general position of zero beat. The dial on the front of the box is intended only for 'fine tuning.' If you're sure that you've tuned it correctly, or you still cannot acheive the desired effect, then:

2) Try moving the theremin into another room, away from all nearby objects. If that fails then:

3) Check all visible connections - the pitch antenna, the slots where the cables go in and so on. If that fails then:

4) Try plugging the instrument in somewhere else, (possibly with a ground-lifting socket, as this sometimes helps). IF this fails then you probably have some sort of internal fault, which will need internal repair.

I advise you don't do this unless you're confident with a soldering iron and circuit diagram. It would a pity to void the warranty or damage the instrument.

I hope everything gets fixed soon,

Charlie
Posted: 3/29/2006 11:07:56 AM
Erik

Just chiming in here on the Etherwave. Two thoughts:
1) I have found that all of my Theremins are VERY sensitive to ambient electrical fields and physical objects, particularly metal ones. Make sure you haven't set it up too close to something.
2) My THeremin needs tuning EVERY DAY even if I leave it in the same spot. Changes in humidity affect it, among other things.
SO my advice is to set it up someplace "safe" (Clara Rockmore referred to the area around the THeremin as a magic circle) and then use the pitch know to expland or contract zero beat to where you want it to be.
Personally, I don't use zero beat for reference for tuning. I tune to an octave leap anywhere in the C5-C6 range. When I can do the leap with my standard gesture, I know the THeremin is in tune for me.
Hope this helps!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.