organic sounding music featuring the theremin?

Posted: 4/29/2006 11:18:43 PM
BIGALKE

Once I was in Costa Rica driving around with some friends looking at the beautiful country side while smoking some really bad grass. I recall this amazing song that came on the local radio station... and the song used a theremin!! It was so sureal! Yet there was know way to even know the dj said the name of the artist because we didn't speak very good spanish... Anyways..

The track I heard was very organic along with using the theremin. Most music I've found on the internet using the theremin is either very electronic or classical.

1. Does anyone know of any really great music featuring the theremin that's organic sounding??

The only one I know of is PRAM. And they're great.

thanks

c
Posted: 4/30/2006 9:26:12 AM
omhoge

Not sure what's organic for you, e.g. "from the earth", or "self integral" but here's a shot with a couple names to start the yacking. What kinda music was that you heard?

Elizabeth Brown's music ("contemporary classical" I guess) uses live acoustic instruments and sometimes nature sounds woven into musical and sonic landscapes which are fully organic on their own terms and natural sounding, sometimes sounding like nature on another carbon based world. She's got a major concert in Brooklyn NY this season hopefully she will post the details here at TW.

Project Pimento performs captivating and alluring "lounge jazz" stylings with a traditional instrumental with vocalist ensemble plus featuring theremin. They make the theremin sound organic to the genre and Robby Virus is a wonderfully musical player. Rumor has it they've got a new album coming out this year.

Of course Bud Hoffman's classic recordings with Les Baxter from the 50's are pure "Exotica" of the time and make the theremin sound just as organic as the four-octave Peruvian songstress, Yma Sumac. The Baxter web site says: 'His 1950 album, "Music Out of the Moon," featured the theremin and was probably the best-selling theremin album of all time--and also founded the "space" school of exotica.'

hth!
Posted: 5/3/2006 2:35:52 PM
DiggyDog

...bad grass can make anything sound good...
Posted: 5/3/2006 2:36:13 PM
DiggyDog

...not that I would know from personal experience....
Posted: 5/3/2006 8:51:12 PM
BIGALKE

Yeah, I was going towards the "from the earth" organic. Self integral could come into play as well, just as long as we're talking spiritually. Elizabeth Brown sounds like what I'm looking for. Thanks for all the info!

I highly recommend check out PRAM.
Posted: 5/4/2006 4:08:39 PM
omhoge

I've heard her on spellbound and at the NYTS April event. I haven't heard that nature sounds piece on spellbound yet but that's what she said would be her next concert very soon in Brooklyn.

If anyone hears word of this event from her please post it!

I asked to be on her mailing list but haven't heard any news yet.
Was I getting spiritual, sorry that happens with me a lot, I was actually thinking semantics.

Keep us posted on all the Earth Wind and Ether music you find!
Posted: 5/6/2006 9:03:52 AM
omhoge

NEWS!!! Four nights too good for her! Another landmark NYC theremin event is coming.

-----------------------------

XØ Projects Inc presents Rural Electrification, a
chamber opera for voice, theremin and recorded sound
by Elizabeth Brown, performed by Stephanie Skaff and
Elizabeth Brown (theremin) with video by Lothar
Osterburg.

Where: The Sanctum at The Old American Can Factory
232 Third Street at Third Avenue, by the Gowanus Canal
in Brooklyn
4 Performances - Wed. May 24 through Sat. May 27 at 8
pm
Running time approximately 55 minutes
General admission $15, seniors and students with ID
$10
Reservations are encouraged - email
< XOPNYC@GMAIL.COM >

Subway:  F/G to Carroll St: Walk East down Third St
over Gowanus Canal bridge to Third Ave.  M/R to Ninth
St: Walk North on Fourth Ave, turn West on Third St to
Third Ave.

For additional information, and for a link to sound
excerpts from the piece, please visit
http://www.xoprojects.com/rural.html

Commissioned by the Barlow Foundation, Rural
Electrification explores the advent of electricity in
rural America, which arrived decades after American
cities were electrified. A young woman reveals her
hopes, dreams and fears of what electricity, as
portrayed by the theremin, will mean for herself, her
family, and their prospects in the world. 

http://www.elizabethbrowncomposer.com

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.