I'm finally ready to buy a new amp

Posted: 5/5/2006 12:52:03 PM
DiggyDog

During Wednesday's show my little Peaey amp started distorting pretty badly and I think it is ready to give up the ghost.

Yesterday I took the Etherwave to the music store to try out amps and I really like the Crate KXB100.

Some of you may recall that I was looking at the Behringer K1200 amp but decided against it after reading some not-so-good reviews. (Several reviewers had the same problems and I don't want to deal with squealing sounds and broken corner protectors).

Of the three keyboard amps they had (A small Roland, an Alesis Sumo, in addition to the Crate) I liked this one the best. The lows were full and big and the highs were crystal-clear.

I also tried a Peavey KB-something or other at another music store and I liked that one, too.

So, who has tried to Crate KXB100?

I've got a few hundred bucks of saved-up gig money burning a hole in my pocket and I want a new amp soon....
Posted: 5/5/2006 1:17:51 PM
omhoge

I made the "mistake" of ordering the Alesis Transact50 cause they said it was "in stock". I still think it is perfect fit for my needs but it's now 12,000,000 years behind in shipping. Believe it or not, my EWPro came faster than this thing is.
Posted: 5/6/2006 9:53:57 AM
rupert

i use jbl eons.

you can't beat the ergomnomics and your back will love you for it. they are no more difficult than carrying a suitcase. i use two 15 inchers and unless you are really into bass you don't need a sub.
Posted: 5/25/2006 1:30:21 PM
DiggyDog

I bought the Crate amp last Friday. I took off work to play a (non-theremin) day-time gig and afterwards I stopped by the shop to pick it up.

The Etherwave sounds great through the thing. It has 4 inouts and an effects loop, which will come in handy for Barnyard gigs when I want to play some of my circuit-bent toys and CD sound effects and run them all through the Zoom 508.

An added bonus...I was able to play my bass through for Saturday night's gig.

We played a graduation party at a fish camp, of all places and the Crate handled it very well. It actually sounded better then my old Peavey TNT 100 bass amp.

I haven't tried the Etherwave and the Hofner at the same time but I am pretty sure it will sound fine.

I don't want to sound like Tom Cruise going on and on about Katie Holmes but I really love this amp!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.