Did you name your theremin? Is it a "he", "she", or "other"?

Posted: 5/15/2006 12:09:59 PM
omhoge

[just for fun]
I've noticed lots of thereminsts have named their Theremins.

Though I'm in the habit of naming other things like pets, plants and stuffed toys I've never named my instruments. Maybe because I came up in the pipe organ world where all instruments already had a name (e.g. "First Ave. Austin").

So far, I just call my theremin EWPro but in my head it is definitely encoded as a "he". "He" sounds great by the way since he came back from Moog for the vol. and pitch mods.

What's your theremin called?
Posted: 5/15/2006 3:22:56 PM
MarbleMad

Can't say it occurred to me to name my theremin until this moment...
I think she's called
"The Evil Maria" with reference to my favourite movie
METROPOLIS
and because she should make beautiful music but so far just sounds like a horror.

Robot Maria meets the Cybermen (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kinetic-arts/temp/cybergirls.jpg)

GOSH wouldn't a cybermans head make a good theremin?
Posted: 5/15/2006 3:41:36 PM
GordonC

Mine's called "Inthekitchen."

That way I can inform my family what I'm going to do and where at the same time.

It's an it.

Posted: 5/16/2006 4:37:25 AM
GordonC

Been thinking about a better name.

"Tollie."

(From [b]T[/b]he [b]O[/b]uter [b]L[/b]imits.)

Because -

"... We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. ... We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you ... hear. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to The Outer Limits"

(I was going to call it Mikey, because it's my Kees, but Mikey Mic The Microphone objected. Fender The Amp spoke out about it, and Marshall and Danny The Delay Boxes just kept repeating the objection.)
Posted: 5/16/2006 8:03:35 AM
Charlie D

What about Thiere the Theremin? Or Merlin?
Posted: 5/16/2006 10:56:04 AM
regmtait

Mine's definitely a Thing.
Posted: 5/16/2006 9:26:56 PM
teslatheremin

Hi!
Mine is definately called "Damn-It!".
teslatheremin
Posted: 5/17/2006 12:01:16 AM
kkissinger

What's in a name? More than meets the eye.

I have two Theremins. I call them "the Theremax" and "the Epro". Just like my modular synth which is "the Aries". Since I have more than one Casio Synth they keep their model names: "the VZ1, the CZ3000, etc". My main Keyboard is "the Kurzweil".

As you can see, I am not too creative with names. However they are all prized possessions and trusted allies in music/miracle making. Behind the simple names are great stories.

When I started at the UMKC conservatory, to work in the 8-channel Moog studio there was not an option because they had no classes for undergrads. I am grateful that I was forced by circumstance to build my own studio. Indeed, I built my own Aries synth and went out performing and obtained grant money to teach electronic music to junior high and high school kids which fully funded my remaining years of college. I built the Aries for fun yet the results were totally unexpected. In fact, the conservatory sent me out playing electronic music in public on their behalf and they also started offering undergraduate courses in electronic music. This opened doors for many talented composer/musicians. To this day I use the Aries. The Aries has a place of honor in my studio and many great stories to tell.

The Theremax is the Theremin I built with my two young boys. They helped me sand and stain the cabinet. They helped me sort and inventory the parts. They helped me hold parts securely for soldering. It is the first Theremin I played. It has a history and a signifigance that money can't buy.

The Epro and the PA system I assembled to perform with it is my personal "Field of Dreams" -- build it and they will come. The Epro and the PA system represent miracles that have not yet happened. The Theremin is truely magical. I don't know beans about "getting gigs" however I'm just gonna play. I don't believe in miracles, I DEPEND on them!

While I may call my Epro "the Epro" in my mind it is "my beloved Epro". A real treasure.

As you can see, I am a hopeless idealist. I am not sure where my foray into Theremin playing will take me, however the trip promises to be a great one!

May your Theremin inspire you and may it acquire a great history, regardless of its name. May your Theremin journey bring you joy, inspiration, and miracles.

-- Kevin

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.