Multiple theremin proximity, pitch preview, effects and midi interfaces.

Posted: 6/27/2006 6:01:40 PM
GordonC

The problem of theremins interfering with one another has been mentioned as a particular problem for the New York Experimental Theremin Orchestra in a few threads. As far as I know it is unresolved.

I came across what appears to be a solution whilst browsing UK theremin manufacturers.

The top of the range No1derland model, the 009 (http://www.no1derland.com/web05/009.htm), has, in addition to the trim knobs (usually called the tuning knobs) separate tuning knobs with a different function:

"[i]The Tune control is used to tune the Pitch antenna. This is useful if you are using more than one Theremin, because you can use it to tune them apart so that they don't interfere with one another. You can also use it to deliberately make them interfere with each other for strange sound-effects.[/i]"

I also wondered about the possibility of building large faraday cages out of chicken wire to isolate the theremins, but I'm not an electrical engineer - perhaps one could comment on this please.

The 009 is a stereo theremin - it has two volume antennas, so the sound can be panned from one side to the other by horizontal movements of the volume hand. (Or, instead of panning, how about putting a different effects box on each channel, and combine the signals afterwards to enable cross-fading from one effect to the other on the fly!)

It is similar in shape - a slim, long, thin cuboid with volume plate(s) rather than protruding antenna and detachable pitch antenna - to theremin.co.uk (http://theremin.co.uk/)'s top of the range Elysian, which has a different feature set including, and these also refer to recent postings, pitch preview and a ring modulator. (As mentioned elsewhere, No1derland have a separate ring-mod box.)

As my final other thread tie-in, theremin.co.uk also sell the MCV1a Theremin MIDI/CV Interface, which is specifically designed to plug into a theremin and convert the sound signal to both MIDI and CV simultaneously. It's funcionality is described at some length on the website.

Posted: 6/27/2006 7:11:09 PM
omhoge

Very interesting thank you Gordon. It sounds like they have added a way to adjust the base frequencies of instrument. And maybe with the EWPro adjusting the additional front tuning screws for ensemble playing would be an option to try next time.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.