Help Beginner !

Posted: 8/2/2006 4:11:34 AM
Adi

Hi -Im new to this but have just bought a Big Briar Etherwave -Mustard Colour Theremin! - I used to own a Moog black one a couple of years ago but got impatient with trying to learn to play it properly and keep the pitches in tune so sold it - regreted it ever since - and now this theremin came up - can anyone tell me what the difference is between the two? Ive not got it yet (aug 2nd )its being posted but I would love to know if I have a bargain or an imitation duffer! Thanks Adi
Posted: 8/2/2006 10:57:24 AM
Charlie D

Can you describe your model in any more detail? If it has lots of silver dials (more than on the Black Etherwave), then it could well be an Etherwave Pro (they're very expensive mind you, upwards of $700). If it is square with four dials, then it is probably just an unpainted Etherwave.

I would advise you that no theremin will make the task of playing in tune easy. The difference between a Kees and an E'Pro is only really noticeable once you can comfortably play on one or the other.

The only way to get better is to keep at it.
Posted: 8/2/2006 11:39:32 AM
Adi

Thanks Charlie - Its the same size as the Moog rectangular -same controls just a hand painted yellow - doesn't appear to have the same quality of finish - its just arrived in the post -not had time to check it out yet - on the front it says Etherwave Theremin by Big Briar - 4 round controls -volume, pitch, waveform, brightness an audio out socket and a power socket. On the back there is a label saying BIG BRIAR, Inc Asheville, NC.28801 Serial Number 00896- and the round power supply socket on the back. Underneath there is a round thread for a stand. On one side there are 2 threads for the volume piping and on the other side one thread for the tall pitch piping. cheers Adi
Posted: 8/3/2006 9:33:18 AM
DiggyDog

SOunds like an Ehterwave standard to me.

Good choice!
Posted: 8/3/2006 3:09:55 PM
alberto.mf

Sure, as many people know, [i]Big Briar[/i] was 'Moog brand name' for a few years (1978-2002).
Posted: 8/7/2006 4:13:35 PM
Adi

Great - thanks for that -its nice to know Ive got a real moog etherwave - i've just painted it black and tried a few tentative notes --- gonna take a long time --- very impressed with the moog site in the states - they have been really helpful with my questions - cheers Adi
Posted: 8/9/2006 2:40:54 PM
DiggyDog

Yes, Adi, it does take a while.

I have been making noise with mine for a few years now and I am finally able to actually play some melodies and remain relatively on-key.

Have fun!
Posted: 8/10/2006 6:41:45 PM
schielenkrahe

I am 99.99% sure -- you've got a standard Etherwave. I believe it's about seven or eight years old and the last time I saw it, it worked marvelously becuase it was tweaked by its owner who is well-versed in electronics.

Yes, there's only one theremin painted banana yellow that I know of and the man who used to play it is still a friend of mine and he WAS a wonderful thereminist but he's moved on to other things. I know he planned to sell the instrument and I'm 99.99% sure it was his. If so, too bad it can't talk and tell you its history.

Posted: 8/10/2006 7:39:29 PM
Jason

I'm curious - does it have a power-on light? I believe they included red LEDs on the early Big Briar Etherwaves but stopped using them after the first minor design revision.
Posted: 8/10/2006 8:11:31 PM
vonbuck

I have a pretty early one, and it doesn't have a light. I was also looking at the old promo for it and that doesn't menion a pilot light

Andy

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.