Ehterwave european power supply not grounded?

Posted: 1/3/2007 5:09:19 PM
Jari Jokinen

My brand new Ehterwave Standard came with a US power supply. I bought separately an european 220V@50-60Hz power supply. It has a sticker with text "Moog Music Inc, Etherwave Power Supply".

I am puzzled, because there are no ground plates in the wall connector. Yet the Hot Rodding manual has a section titled "Why is the Power Adaptor Grounded?". Do I have the right power supply?

I get a pitch jump, when touching the output jack, which should mean, that I have a grounding problem. I am testing Etherwave with a grounded spring reverb device and headphones.

Best regards
Jari Jokinen
Posted: 1/3/2007 5:14:14 PM
Alexander

You'll find that this happens if you touch something metal while playing the Theremin. Don't ask me why...
Posted: 1/3/2007 6:06:45 PM
GordonC

It also happens if you touch the half a honeydew melon that is sitting on top of your etherwave.

My theory is that by coming into contact with something that conducts electricity you are effectively altering your mass and thus your body capacitance.

Think of it as a free effect.
Posted: 1/3/2007 6:11:52 PM
Alexander

[i]It also happens if you touch the half a honeydew melon that is sitting on top of your etherwave.[/i]

You, sir, are a crazy man.

Here's an odd thing - I painted my Theremin yesterday, and after about two hours the paint had more or less dried in all but a couple of places (even then it was barely wet at all). I plugged in the Theremin and switched it on, but the pitch setting was all wrong - much higher than it should have been. Even turning it as low as possible did nothing.

Left the paint to dry fully and when I next switched it on, it worked just like it had always done!
Posted: 1/3/2007 6:36:07 PM
Charlie D

I expect the capacitance of the water might be to blame - for that same reason a resurrected Egyptian mummy would probably not play the theremin well, since they have little or no water content. Also, their bindings would make aerial fingering very difficult. That, and their brains have been removed and thrown away.
Posted: 1/3/2007 7:21:51 PM
GordonC

[i]You, sir, are a crazy man.[/i]

I know, who in their right minds would buy honeydew? Charantais melons are far tastier and work just as well.
Posted: 1/3/2007 9:19:31 PM
buddy_craigg

what's a Charantais?
Posted: 1/4/2007 3:01:39 AM
GordonC

Buddy, it's a sort of melon (http://www.foodsubs.com/Fruitmel.html).

Charlie, "I said I wanted a [i]dedicated[/i] thereminist, not a [i]desiccated[/i] one!"
Posted: 5/17/2007 7:01:40 PM
omhoge

OK, now I'm not only confused
I'm actually frightened
how the hell did you know
that I keep a honeydew melon on the top of my theremin?

fresh by the way
Posted: 5/17/2007 7:28:23 PM
GordonC

Doesn't everyone do that?

I have been experimenting with small marsupials, but they are nothing like melons.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.