JHS effects pedals

Posted: 6/10/2007 1:25:10 AM
Thomas Grillo

Until now, I've only used a reverb pedal, but today, I was asked to bring my theremin over to a local guitar shop where the owner wanted to see what a modified Boss pedal would sound like on the theremin. He also wanted to see th B3 theremin, so I took it along. Without the pedal, the B3 theremin had that classic ooo-eee whistle tone, but with the pedal it sounded like something between a brass instrument, a raspy saxiphone, and an electric guitar. It was really strange as the volume of the instrument controlled the timbre, and distortion. The higher I rased my volume hand, the more it sounded like a sax, and higher still, a distorded guitar sound came through. Closer to the volume antenna, and some really strange transitions took place until just the classic untouched whistle tone came through, and finally silence as my hand got very close.

The pedal was a JHS synth driver (a former Boss pedal) modified by a guy named Joshua Scott who runs a business modifying effects pedals. Come to find out, he's located right here in my city, and was on the phone with the guitar shop owner. Turns out Joshua was interested in the effects on the theremin too.

I also tried the pedal on the pro, and got some really strange solid brass section like sounds starting with trumpet like sounds when my volume hand was close to the antenna, then with octaves, and then double octaves chiming in when I rased my volume hand. I had to get one of these pedals, and ran it through the reverb as well.

Mars, the bringer of war sounds pretty darned cool on that effects pedal, and theremin.

If anyone's interested in one, check out www.myspace.com/jhsmods.
Posted: 6/11/2007 2:31:54 PM
DiggyDog

I will check it out tonight.

My ART effects processor does the same thing with some of the settings.

I like the one where the tone sounds clean until the volume reaches a certain point and them the distortion kicks in.

It is really cool to be able to change the sound without turing around to fiddle with the knobs.
Posted: 6/11/2007 2:37:05 PM
Thomas Grillo

I've been havin' s blast with Dragnet, Mars, and Jaws with this thing. I may do a youtube demo later on. This pedal loves tones with good lows in them.
Posted: 7/2/2007 4:07:15 PM
Thomas Grillo

I just posted a technical demo of the JHS Mods pedal to youtube.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z2k6m1Bu3zE

Posted: 7/2/2007 9:03:48 PM
teslatheremin

Hi,
I find that almost any synthesizer sound can be made thru the use of effects pedals processing a Theremin--- any Theremin.
In the older days of electronics manufacture, one would buy a single pedal or device at a time, to complement their muse. In the present day, multi-effects pedals are available for guitar, bass and vocalists.
Perhaps, a vocalist's multi-effects pedal would fit your needs better than a single ,and somewhat suspect circuit-bent 'Brand Name' pedal. Your sonic options would be much greater with a multi-effects pedal specifically designed for a vocalist, considering the Theremin's intrinsic voice. I should know, I own one: Digitech's VFx400. I, also have an Ibenez DE7 Echo/Delay, just for fun!

Good luck, on whatever you decide to acquire!

teslatheremin
Posted: 7/2/2007 9:27:54 PM
teslatheremin

Great video on YouTube. Great Playing!
The pedal has possibilities, but the price seems to be high: the point of diminishing returns.

Good luck!

teslatheremin
Posted: 7/2/2007 9:37:24 PM
Thomas Grillo

The designer of the pedal actually pulls the intire original board, and puts his own into the pedal.

Randy George uses one that simulates the vouling of a human voice. Pretty cool.

I liked the brass section like sound of the synth drive, as well as the octaves kicking in when I pull my volum hand far enough away from the volume antenna.

Thanks for the suggestion on those other pedals. I'll be looking into them.
Posted: 5/1/2008 11:55:01 AM
Thierry

Found this thread only now...

Is it possible that this pedal has been designed for guitars? So there is a risk to overdrive it with the line output level of a theremin. That means that parts of the distortion at higher volume may be unwanted.
Posted: 5/2/2008 3:14:33 AM
Alan_in_CA

Modeately weird..which is intended as a compliment!
Posted: 5/2/2008 9:34:13 AM
Thomas Grillo

The JHS mod pedels are converted pedals, and although tdesigned for guitars, seem to work very nicely with the theremin. If you visit my youtube channel, http://www.youtube.com/thomasgrillo , you'll find my jhs mods pedal demo if you've not allready seen it. ;)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.