Theremin affecting hearing?

Posted: 12/25/2007 1:51:33 AM
MisterWaffles

So I just got my new etherwave std. (Having a blast, by the way.)

I've got headphones hooked up to my amp so I don't drive my parents crazy. After I took my headphones off from about 20 minutes of practice I noticed everything I heard sounded "wavy," like sound was hitting a whobbling whisk or something like that before entering my ear. It went away, but I just thought it was strange...
Posted: 12/25/2007 6:01:39 AM
GordonC

Merry Christmas!

Probably you're just adjusting to a new auditory experience.

First time I encountered autostereograms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Stereogram_Tut_Random_Dot_Shark.png) I spent a solid two hours staring at them (big ones, in a gallery) and for the rest of the day my depth perception was intensely exaggerated.

Posted: 12/25/2007 9:18:44 AM
Thomas Grillo

Seeing out of only one eye, I don't have that problem, but stare at a pattern of thin lins for a minute, then look away, and see what the world looks like.

If you start heaing a ringing after a half hour of use, you may want to use a lower volume level.

Could the wobbling effect be a delayed reaction from all the vibratto? ;)

Merry Christmas, and happy new year! ;)
Posted: 12/30/2007 1:52:11 AM
MisterWaffles

The strange "whisking" noise only happens when I've got the brightness cranked up. Heh. It's kind of fun actually. I can hear the air. O.O
Posted: 12/30/2007 2:10:42 AM
Zsy

I would probably compare it to being on a boat all day and then walking on land... Your body adjusts to the motion and then, when it is no longer there slowly adjusts back to normal... Can I trademark the phrase "in-ear inertia"?
Posted: 12/30/2007 8:19:35 AM
tatems

It sounds like your volume is a tad high. I'd be careful to make sure that you don't play with it too loud. I also find that my ears go a little funny after playing with headphones at a high level. It can't be good for the ears (as i'm told hearing damage is permanent!) For very loud gigs i use special musician earplugs.
Posted: 12/30/2007 10:05:29 AM
Thomas Grillo

Just a guess, but the strange sensation could also be the result of the inner ear being over stimulated from the direct audio input. Do watch those levels. Hearing loss "IS" permanent.
Posted: 12/31/2007 12:01:33 AM
Alan_in_CA

I have high frequency hearing loss secondary to middle ear infections when I was a kid. The Army figured I couldn't hear well enough to pull a trigger, which was OK; but I know I'm missing a lot of the sounds of music, as well as having to deal with other problems. Not too loud, hear?
Posted: 12/31/2007 10:33:15 AM
vonbuck

[b]WHAT?[/b]

....someone had to say it...
Happy New Year

Andy
Posted: 1/2/2008 9:50:02 PM
Thomas Grillo

Check this site for sound level chart showing levels at which hearing loss occurs, is permanent, and at which point hearing tissues are destroyed. Fascinating.

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.