TherAsynth - New product under development - What do YOU want?

Posted: 2/5/2008 2:23:24 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

[i]"teslatheremin:
Fred,
I think with, Gordon and T.Grillo, that you have finally attracked some of the two extremes here at Theremin World. Listen well!
Good Luck![/i]

Thanks Teslatheremin .. but I have no idea what you are talking about here !?! - I really am trying to listen - and thinking about ways to make everyone happy with the proposals for my instrument..

I have not been at TW long enough to be able to identify the 'extremes' - Please, drop me an email (my email address is on my website) with some 'old timer' insights!

Best regards, Fred.

Posted: 2/5/2008 6:11:29 AM
GordonC

No particular need for the back-channel. Here's the skinny on Thomas and myself.

We both [i]seriously[/i] need to get out more.

Thomas makes no secret of the fact that every waking moment is spent honing his classical technique, scrutinising recordings of the great players and applying his knowledge and lifetime experience of classical music.

My musical history starts with old-school Industrial music - Throbbing Gristle for instance - and related areas of music with a strong DIY ethic - Brian Eno, The Fall, Pere Ubu, The Residents - that kind of thing. I couldn't play a recognisable melody if you beat me with sticks. So I'm all about experimentation. If I got it into my head that it would be interesting to play the theremin inside a concrete mixer filled with cannonballs I'd probably hire one.
Posted: 2/5/2008 7:12:20 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

[b]No particular need for the back-channel. Here's the skinny on Thomas and myself.[/b]

We both seriously need to get out more.

LOL! - I know that place!

[i] If I got it into my head that it would be interesting to play the theremin inside a concrete mixer filled with cannonballs I'd probably hire one.[/i]

You just might have some problems with adverse capacitances doing this.. even with my TherAsynth!

ok - nothing sinister here then.. I am probably somewhere in the middle - ecentricity inclined towards having a huge modular synthesiser on stage, and prancing about with a TherAsynth hung round my neck sending control signals to the modular over wireless USB... OOOEEERRRR.. need to go and have a cold shower now!
Posted: 2/5/2008 1:57:43 PM
GordonC

[i]ecentricity inclined towards having a huge modular synthesiser on stage[/i]

We have that in common. Sort of.

My plan is currently (and has been for a while - finance, you know) to hang a Nord Modular G2 off my etherwave, it being a [i]virtual[/i] huge modular synth (ha! twice now I have typed "m[b]u[/b]dular" - I was just thinking that before I do I need to confirm I like the sound of the device) in a convenient red box.
Posted: 2/5/2008 7:59:24 PM
FredM

[b]signing out – for now..[/b]
Once again – thank you all!
I think I have a far better understanding now about what Theremin players want – from both ‘extremes’ – I will go away and have something of a re-evaluation, and then get on with producing the first prototypes. I have also just landed a contract for a months PSoC consultancy work, and this should relieve my finances a bit and keep me solvent for the next few months.. so here are my ideas about what I plan for the next few months – these may change..
[b]Antennas:[/b]
My original plan (which was at quite an advanced stage in development) was to have 2 identical sensors for pitch + volume – I had designed and prototyped the mechanical features (brass support poles, self contained sensor assembly, the ability to move / rotate the sensors so that either could take any orientation – allowing them to be positioned for conventional playing or desktop + wearable use) but the need to increase the size of the sensor plate (to increase the range) makes this scheme difficult / impossible.. I already have the biggest housings for the sensors which can work with this scheme..
So.. Redesign of the antennas is now my top priority – My thoughts are that I will now place the sensor electronics in the main box, and have exchangeable passive antennas to allow the various (conflicting) ‘requirements’ to be handled. There are some (fairly minor) design issues to overcome – the main one being the fact that having a passive antenna system increases stray capacitance, and extra care is needed with screening connection to the sensitive area on the antennas – I also need to devise new methods to implement directional fields – although this should not be too difficult – A directional antenna will probably now consist of a plastic tubular antenna with appropriate screening layered within it.
Having passive antennas will reduce the cost ( the active antennas and the mechanical assembly for these was elegant and real flash – but horrendously expensive – The cost of a full set of all antenna options should still be cheaper than a pair of active antennas)
[b] Linearity [/b]
I have now calculated the cost of including variable field linearity, and it comes to about £2 – I think I will include this as standard – it will be a screwdriver accessible preset potentiometer, so it can be set to the players preference, and left.. This will give an adjustment range from ‘natural’ (inverse square law, or 1/C2) at one extreme, to ‘standard’ (The curve from a standard inductive oscillator, which is about 1/C1.5) to linear at the other extreme.. This will only be applied to the pitch antenna – the volume antenna will be linear.. I hope that this will make everyone happy!
[b] “Handedness”[/b]
I am looking at ‘keying’ the antennas, so that the assignment of pitch will automatically follow the side to which the pitch antenna is fitted – this would avoid needing a switch… All comes down to whether I can include this with little extra cost – which comes down to what spare logic gates etc I may have.
[b] Preview [/b]
I intend now to include a separate preview output, with separate level control and on/off – I will not be fitting a visual pitch indicator unless I get a lot of requests for this.
[b] Octaves [/b]
There will be a switch selector (Probably PSoC CAPSENSE) to select number of octaves in sensing field and to select / transpose the lowest octave in the sensing field.
[b] Synthesiser / sound source[/b]
I intend to stick with a full-blown analogue synthesiser for (at least) the first prototype – This section is almost completed (some of the PCB’s have even been designed) – this will also give me an evaluation platform, from which to decide what is really needed (for example, whether I need a heterodyning sound source, or whether the classic Theremin sound can be produced with subtractive synthesis).
I can more easily remove elements than add them (having all the o
Posted: 2/5/2008 8:13:54 PM
FredM

[b]"the volume antenna will be linear"[/b]
This is confusing.. What I mean is that the distance -> percieved volume relationship will be linear - in fact, an actual linear change in amplitude is percieved as Logarithmic - so what actually is done is that the linear control signal is fed to an exponential converter before going to the VCA, producing what sounds like a linear control, but in fact is an exponential (anti-log) control.....
Posted: 2/5/2008 9:37:13 PM
Thomas Grillo

FredM, Thank you for letting us provide feedback, and take part in the evolution of the theremin.

Keep up the great works!
Posted: 2/6/2008 12:07:34 AM
FredM

Thank you, Thomas - It has been an honor to have your input on this design.. I have followed your series of excellent video tutorials, and enjoyed your performances I have seen .. And I hope it will not be too long before you are playing the TherAsynth or TherAmin you have helped to direct..
Best regards,
Fred.
Posted: 2/6/2008 1:03:41 PM
FredM

[b] I need some more help / advise again.. [/b]

I have been redesigning the antennas - and getting quotes for the metalwork.. All a lot more expensive than I had anticipated...

I can, however, do everything I need using standard 15mm copper pipe and plumbing fittings - will cetrtainly be doing this for the prototype..

[b]Question:[/b] Would a Theremin having identifiable plumbing parts in its antenna structure put you off buying one - Assuming the antenna is robust, easily fitted / swapped (standard hand tightening compression joints) and laminated - would the fact that you could see that it was not constructed from specially fabricated parts, give you an inclination to believe it was cheap and probably rubbish ?

The construction I am looking at is a loop antenna, with optional / removable clip-on director / focuser to add directionality if required.

Even in quite large quantities, the cost of standard plumbing tubes / fittings is less than 1/10th the cost of quality custom made antennas - and plumbing parts are just as good / robust..

I could provide custom parts on 1 off orders for about £150 extra (!) or as standard adding about £40 to the cost of the unit.

What would you prefer - and what do you think the effect might be on sales - If a (say) £600 theremin had plumbing parts vs (say) a £699 identical unit except it had custom antenna parts, what will sell best?

Help - Electronics is real easy compared to trying to work out the marketing side of all this!!
Posted: 2/6/2008 1:29:16 PM
Thierry

Advice: Take standard plumbing parts and cover them at almost no cost with red, blue or black heat shrinkable tubing. This will give an individual charakter to your instrument.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.