TherAsynth - New product under development - What do YOU want?

Posted: 2/21/2008 1:24:03 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Hello again folks!
'Fixing' the issues raised has led to quite a major re-design (it has not been as easy as I thought to increase sensing range whilst maintaining linearity and directionality) .. I think I have now solved the problems, but have [b]another question ![/b]

My new design starts with an almost conventional Theremin 'heart' - it has conventional pitch oscillator and reference oscillator driving a hetrodyning demodulator to produce a primary audio source.. The pitch oscillator also drives the processor, which computes a correction voltage that drives the reference oscillator - this is how I now do linearity correction and set the range (number of octaves spanned) tuning etc. This method also means that there is now only a latency (on the primary sound generator) of about 100us.

[b]Question:[/b] - Operator can set pitch to be highest or lowest close to the antenna or furthest from the antenna - this is no problem - What is not so easy to do, is to set the pitch null-point somewhere between.
Do you ever need to set the pitch so that, say, as the hand approaches the antenna, pitch drops to 0, then rises again when the null point has been crossed? I can add this if it was REALLY wanted - but it is difficult, because everything about the auto-calibration works to give maximum playable span.

[i]My plan now is to have a single PCB containing a complete 'basic' Theramin with linear law etc described before, and having a I2C interface for expansion to other elements such as CV, MIDI, and other sound modules - And to sell this as an expandable starter unit / kit.. I have realised that I will run out of money if I must wait for the complete TherAsynth to go into production.[/i]

Posted: 2/21/2008 6:22:17 PM
GordonC

LCD - I agree with Jon - after all, [i]the[/i] aspirational theremin - the moog ethervox - had an lcd display.

Latency. Yup, a hundred-thousandth of a second should be short enough - it's the sort of latency you'd get sending the signal down two kilometres of copper wire.

Nope, I can't think of a sensible use for having the null point in the middle of the pitch field. If someone has a module that provides CV or midi outs then they can re-map it however they like on their existing hardware. How fast will the bus be? - I assume you're sending positional data out, audio would want I2S.

I like modular. It makes expensive things affordable.
Posted: 2/21/2008 9:09:22 PM
Jon B

[i]Do you ever need to set the pitch so that, say, as the hand approaches the antenna, pitch drops to 0, then rises again when the null point has been crossed?[/i]

No. In fact, I can think of good reasons NOT to have that feature (i.e. it's nice if the theremin stays muted when you walk away from it).
Posted: 2/23/2008 12:53:54 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Thank you, Jon + Gordon.. Not needing to implement offset null positioning is a big relief.

I have now put a bit of my TherAmin site together, and will be pasting technical stuff there - Link is in my profile.

Gordon - I2C will only be used for control purposes - NO AUDIO will be Digitized!! (I reluctantly give in to a LCD user interface - But I will NEVER submit to digital synthesis!)
Posted: 2/23/2008 6:43:16 AM
GordonC

Cool.

Erm, you seem to have linked on your website to the website called Ther[b]a[/b]minWorld.com which is occupied by typosquatters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typosquatting).

Posted: 2/23/2008 11:31:50 AM
FredM

Ooops... Thanks Gordon - I MUST remember to check my links when I put sites together.. This is not the first time I have made this kind of mistake...
Will go and fix it now!
Posted: 3/3/2008 3:31:37 AM
MarkT

FredM

Might be able to help you out with the case for this, can you send me an email to displayer2008 at googlemail dot com?

Thanks

MarkT
Posted: 3/21/2008 6:49:25 AM
Thierry

FredM, I think you are too late with your idea...

I just found this on German ebay.de:
Item # 310032720775

A PSOC Capsense based Theremin with midi out for only 129EUR (still less than 200 USD)
Posted: 3/22/2008 2:11:55 AM
FredM

Thanks for letting me know!

I am not too worried though.. I started by using Capsense, and it is MUCH too slow for any serious musical application.. The reason is resolution.. One can get 8 bit data out quite quickly (just about fast enough) but to get even 3 octaves with 1 cent resolution requires 12 bits, and this takes way too long.. My design uses 'conventional' Theremin oscillators which drive the PSoC, The PSoC analogue circuitry gives some tricks to speed up the maths (analogue computation).. I am not using Capsense at all.

But - I may still be too late.. See "Fred's progress" - I have some serious problems, and TherAsynth is taking a lot longer than I had hoped.. I have been forced to persue my other developments first, in order (hopefully) to earn some money to fund TherAsynth's development.
Posted: 3/22/2008 2:51:08 AM
FredM

Hmmm...
Just looked at the add.. and I am now quite worried!

But hey - Lets hope its as good as it looks! - I have learned a lot from the development I have done, and if I dont make any money out of it, well, that life!

Might just have to go get a 9-5 job instead of the 14 hour day I have been doing on the TherAsynth! LOL!

//-> EDIT .. Note there is no mention of linearity, also, sensing range is limited to 30cm.. The Auto-translate of the add did not give me enough information that I could understand regarding other features.. but my first impression is that this is probably not going to be the instrument to 'replace' the classical Theremin..

However - it is cheap, it looks really smart, and it will sell loads.. And there is no doubt that the pricing will make it harder to sell a better Theremin in Europe at more than 3x the price (which is likely to be minimum price I could possibly charge for TherAsynth)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.