What should I say for a theremin demonstration.

Posted: 3/5/2008 12:01:57 PM
Zsy

I'm doing a theremin demonstration essentially in front of my whole (high) school on friday. (It's going to be recorded and shown on our school's TV system after the morning announcements.) Is there anything I should touch on other than the basics of how it works and its history. I'm just looking for suggestions.
Posted: 3/5/2008 12:26:56 PM
Thierry

Just do a search on youtube. There are a lot of theremin demonstration videos online. Theremin World Member Eliot Fintushel for example, has made a great one.
Posted: 3/5/2008 8:13:09 PM
Thomas Grillo

You may also consult my theremin lessons at http://www.youtube.com/thomasgrillo where I have a whole playlist devoted to theremin education which not only includes my lessons, but bits of documentaries provided by others on the theremin greats throught history, as well as the theremin's technical aspects. Good luck with your domo.
Posted: 3/5/2008 9:30:10 PM
Jeff S

What you need to ask yourself is...is this a lecture, or is this a demonstration?

If it is intended to be a lecture, collect all of your interesting data and present it that way.

If it is intended to be a "demonstration", then don't talk too much. Give them the basics and few choice, interesting facts, then...shut up and play yer theremin!

It's likely you will lose too many people by boring them with a lot of talk and dry facts. A better idea is to keep it short and simple, demonstrate the theremin by playing it, and then let any interested persons ask you questions, if that's possible.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.