Tank Riot

Posted: 4/14/2008 5:33:51 PM
GordonC

I haven't listened to it yet, but here's the blurb for the podcast Tank Riot Episode 48 (http://www.tankriot.com/2008/048/).

[i]The Tank Team probes the life and inventions of Leon Theremin. While most noted for the electronic musical instrument named after him, we further discuss his life of intrigue, his other inventions and his impact on other inventors!

From stunning stage performances to high tech spying involving the KGB and Stalin, Theremin lived a life scripted for Hollywood. We synthesize his influence on Robert Moog and music. Additionally, we look at Theremin artists Clara Rockmore and Lydia Kavina. All this, viewer mail, and more![/i]

Posted: 4/15/2008 3:30:52 AM
mikebuffington

It's pretty good, but there are a few errors...

The rhythmicon was not used on any soundtracks. It's a false rumor that Joe Meek ever got his hands on it, or that it ever found its way into movie soundtrack. I've done some research on it and (surprise!) Glinsky's report is the most accurate.

There were 3 made. The first rhythmicon eventually ended up at Stanford, and then was dismantled when it fell into disrepair. The second, smaller, more instrument-like machine was made for Cowell, eventually sold to Schillinger, and then was donated to the Smithsonian by Schillinger's widow. The 3rd was made when Theremin returned to the USSR. So the history of the 3 are pretty much fully known.

While it only has 16 "beats" it is polyphonic and can produce 65,535 different polyrhythms. The machine also has variable tempo and pitch controls as well. The sound is kinda disappointing, though.

The guy is recalling a lot of this info from memory. It's not bad but he forgets things... like Wendy Carlos' last name, Big Briar, etc etc.

I don't think The Beatles ever used a theremin. There's a very theremin sounding voice in Goodnight, but I suspect it's a female voice. I haven't checked the book by Mark Lewisohn, The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions, but I'm sure the truth would be in there.
Posted: 4/15/2008 7:28:26 AM
Alexander

Mike, was lovely to meet you in London - so, considering your knowledge, are you responsible for the Joe Meek bootleg that ended up in my Theremin's case? I'm stumped as to where this thing came from.

Not even going to ask about the dubious package that I found on my person (and had spent the whole following day reeking of, it turned out), but I suspect Gordon would have made better use of it than I.
Posted: 4/15/2008 3:00:16 PM
mikebuffington

It was great to meet you and Gordon. I got into the school and as of now am going there this fall... just need go gather some $$$.

No, I was not responsible for any placed items.
Posted: 4/16/2008 4:03:55 AM
Alexander

That's great, congratulations!

I'm in London about once a month for gigs or visiting friends. We should hang out when you're here.
Posted: 4/16/2008 11:59:19 AM
GordonC

Congratulations from me too, Mike.

Alex. I didn't plant anything on you either. I'm not a tekcopkcip.

Posted: 4/17/2008 9:01:28 AM
Alexander

I believe you; you left comparitively early (Freeze Puppy and I left at noon the following day). After Eduard Soundingblock played the whole thing turned into a bit of a rave; you may have noticed the proliferation of people on MDMA.

Incidentally, those people came to my London gig the following week and since then we have all become friends on Facebook. I never did get to the bottom of who planted drugs on me, and suffice to say I didn't try very hard; I just got rid of them. Although in the midst of my hangover I did see a man painted red running around the empty warehouse yelling "I FOUND SOME GEAR" so there may be a link.
Posted: 4/20/2008 12:39:25 AM
Alan_in_CA

Interesting company you all keep....

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.