Questionare for a school project

Posted: 4/15/2008 6:20:53 AM
cyber_turnip

Hi, I'm doing a school project on the theremin and it'd be really helpful if you could fill in this tiny questionare for me. I don't need very detailed answers at all, just a sentance or two.

1.How much do you know about the theremin?

2.If you were to consider buying one (a new one if you already own one), how much would you be willing to pay?

3.How user-friendly would you require it to be?

Thankyou very, very much!
Posted: 4/15/2008 10:59:52 AM
GordonC

Hi again, cyber-turnip. So how did the build go?

1. Quite a bit, but not enough to build one.
2. That depends on the theremin, but not more than the cost of a moog etherwave unless it was substantially better than that.
3. Very. I like user-friendly things. (Apple fan-boy!)
Posted: 4/15/2008 11:37:33 AM
snake 10143

Non-thereminist here to add variety ;-)

1. Basics on how to play it (without going into advanced fingering) and how it works (but wouldn't be able to design one and can only understand parts of the schematics)

2. €150-€200 for a beginner to intermediate theremin, kit or fully-built (minus leads, amp etc)

3. User-friendly enough to let someone who doesn't know how to play be able to make interesting sounds out of it, but if it's slightly more complicated to use because it has extra features (pedals come to mind, although no theremins have them built in - yet) then IMO it's worth the extra effort.
Posted: 4/15/2008 12:15:05 PM
Navrag

.How much do you know about the theremin? About as much as anyone who doesn't know one end of a soldering iron from the other can..

2.If you were to consider buying one (a new one if you already own one), how much would you be willing to pay? Well already owning a E standard, I guess it would be someshere along the lines of the old E-Pro €1400 - 1500

3.How user-friendly would you require it to be? I generally like to have any instrument stripped down to the basic instrument, then if I need to do any sound modifying, use external devices (having said that I have an EMG custom telecaster set up as a guitar synth - generally don't use it on gigs though). I would say getting the linearity right is the main thing.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.