Air travel with a theremin

Posted: 7/25/2008 1:21:35 PM
BombyxMori

I will be travelling internationally soon and I'm planning on taking my theremin with me. I've never flown with it before and I'm wondering--is it okay to pack it in checked luggage, or does it have to be carried on? I'm just wondering if the depressurization of the checked luggage compartment could have any negative effects on it. Has anyone here travelled with a theremin in checked luggage? Thanks for your help.
Posted: 7/25/2008 4:07:19 PM
Charlie D

Carry the body in your hand luggage, pack the antennae in the hold. That's my suggestion, and what I've done each time I've flown with the instrument.
Posted: 7/26/2008 10:17:59 AM
Aidy

I did the same thing :)
worked out great, they didn't even ask what it was
Posted: 7/26/2008 1:10:29 PM
Thomas Grillo

I did the same thing. Took the body on board with me, and checked the rest.

If you have an etherwave Pro, you really should pack the pitch arm in checked baggage, as TSA will not let you take the pitch arm as a carry on, as it is considered a club type weapon. That happened to Randy George when he tried to take his entire Pro onboard.

If it's an etherwave Standard, they may not care about the antennas, just heavy items. I also took my standard onboard with it's antennas, and they never gave me any greife about them. Just stuff like mic stands had to go below.

I'd recommend that if you pack your antennas in the cargo hold, you put them in some sort of hard protective case, so they don't get bent by other heavy bags. Just have to hope they don't lose your bags along with your antennas, but if it happens, you can make your own antennas in a pinch out of heavy guage wire, or rods. (unless it's a Pro).
Posted: 7/27/2008 4:52:29 PM
unclechristo

I put my Etherwave Standard just in my check in suitcase. I took a manual with me and placed one with the theremin so they might know what it was.
I had no problems either way (UK to USA and back).

I am assuming you have thought about voltage differences.
Posted: 3/21/2014 12:40:05 PM
bisem

Since this post is so old I was wondering if anyone has any current advice going through TSA with their theremin at the airport?   I prefer to take my EWS on board in a back pack to prevent damage by the gorillas in the baggage compartment. Naturally I would pack the manual with it but as you know the security protocol changes all the time. I also have a small Roland Mobile Cube amplifier. I am traveling domestic from Pittsburgh to Seattle.

Any suggestions or recent experiences?  Thanks.

Posted: 3/21/2014 1:22:42 PM
Amethyste

Why not take with you your subscope? :)

Posted: 3/21/2014 2:51:38 PM
bisem

Why not take with you your subscope? :)

I definitely don't want the Subscope damaged or confiscated!  The EWS is replaceable for a lot less money.....plus I think it is more durable for travel despite the fact it is heaver to carry.

Posted: 3/21/2014 3:11:14 PM
Amethyste

True... I would just carry it with me in a carryon. It is small enough. :)

Posted: 3/21/2014 3:17:49 PM
bisem

True... I would just carry it with me in a carryon. It is small enough. :)

I agree the size and weight is perfect for travel but the Moog looks more like a commercially produced product and I figure the wood cabinet is less threatening....whereas the Subscope with all those knobs looks more like an elegant and elaborate pipe bomb or communication jamming device...LOL! I won't do anything to endanger it with the intellect of the TSA.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.