Air travel with a theremin

Posted: 3/21/2014 6:15:13 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"I won't do anything to endanger it with the intellect of the TSA." - bisem

Apart from which, the Moog name is probably better known - and its made in the USA ;-)  The name "SubScope" on the other hand may just trigger a panic reaction... ;-)

Posted: 3/21/2014 6:25:15 PM
RS Theremin

Subscope - I must beat the Americans at finding that 777.

Look at the name of who started this thread...humm

Edit: If they don't allow toothpaste tubes, a concealing theremin?

Posted: 3/21/2014 6:29:58 PM
Amethyste

yes.... thread was started in 2008 :P

Posted: 3/21/2014 9:13:03 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Yes - The only post "BombyxMori" has made on TW.

I am actually surprised one can transport theremins on aircraft so easily - The first theremin I took into the Royal Festival Hall had security flapping about until it was cleared when my contact came down from his office to meet me..

Lets face it - a box large enough to pack explosives capable of taking a small building down, with an antenna sticking out the top.. If they didnt investigate they wouldnr be doing their job.

Fred.

Posted: 3/22/2014 1:44:22 AM
bisem

Lets face it - a box large enough to pack explosives capable of taking a small building down, with an antenna sticking out the top.. If they didnt investigate they wouldnr be doing their job.

Fred.

I would imagine they can rule out an explosive device looking at the x-ray the same way they would a digital camera or laptop computer.  

I was just wondering if anyone had any recent experiences that may save me some time and grief at the security line.

Posted: 3/22/2014 2:27:25 AM
FredM

"I would imagine they can rule out an explosive device looking at the x-ray the same way they would a digital camera or laptop computer.  " - bisem

Yeah - your right!

Its quite different walkng through a airport scanner and having your stuff x-rayed, to walking into a large public hall with a suspicious looking contraption!

;-)

Hope all goes well on your travels and performance/s !

Fred.

Posted: 4/2/2014 12:03:11 PM
bisem

Update on my trip:

I decided to take the Subscope.  The portable size and weight won out.  Just got through TSA without a hitch and waiting on my flight.  I placed the theremin and both antennas in a separate tray with the instructions and no one even gave it a second glance when it came out of the x-ray machine. I was almost disappointed but relieved at the same time!

Now I hope I don't disappoint my friends with the mini concert planned for Sunday evening after dinner at my host's house....LOL! 

I will let you know how it goes from Seattle to Pittsburgh on the 14th.

Thanks to everyone who offered their thoughts in this thread  ;^)    

Posted: 4/2/2014 3:35:43 PM
Amethyste

i am glad you took the subscope!! Makes the most sense ~ and I am certain you will be wonderful!! <3

Posted: 4/16/2014 4:38:53 AM
bisem

Just went through the security in Seattle/Tacoma International and not a glitch there either!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.