Big Briar

Posted: 9/20/2008 5:02:51 AM
Adi

Hi -Ive just bought an unused Black Big Briar complete with DVD and all the bits and bobs -Im a little confused as I thought the Big Briar was an early 1990's Theremin and was superceded by the current MOOG one? Mine looks virtually Brand New -is it a new one or is an older theremin that hasn't been used? -if its older why is there a current Theremin DVD in with it? cheers
Posted: 9/20/2008 3:07:54 PM
Alexander

Many (possibly all) of the Moog Etherwave Standard Theremins say "Big Briar" somewhere in the packaging. At least, mine had it written all over it.

I don't know why it is - lest we forget, I suppose?
Posted: 9/20/2008 10:40:21 PM
Jeff S

My understanding is this:

Dr. Moog had sold his company, and the rights to his name, back in the 1970's. Even after the company collapsed in the 1980's, he did not have rights to produce under his name.

At some point which seems to be unclear, Dr. Moog began manufacturing theremins, such as 91a and 91b, under the name of Big Briar.

In 1997, Big Briar began manufacturing the Etherwave and Ethervox theremins.

Sometime around the year 2000, Dr. Moog regained the rights to manufacture under his name. At this point he once again began manufacturing new sythesizers, effects, and the Etherwave Theremin under the name of Moog Music.

However in Great Britain, because of some legal technicality, Moog Music cannot distrubute their products under the Moog name. Thus they still sell the Etherwave theremin under the name of Big Briar.

I believe the Etherwave Pro theremins that were distributed in Great Britain, and possibly elsewhere, do not display the Moog brand as they do in the United States of America.

So, your Big Briar theremin IS just a rebranded, newly manufactured Moog Etherwave.
Posted: 9/21/2008 7:45:05 AM
Alexander

[i]However in Great Britain, because of some legal technicality, Moog Music cannot distrubute their products under the Moog name. Thus they still sell the Etherwave theremin under the name of Big Briar.

I believe the Etherwave Pro theremins that were distributed in Great Britain, and possibly elsewhere, do not display the Moog brand as they do in the United States of America.[/i]

Hmm... not sure - my Etherwave Pro was obtained in the UK, and displays the Moog brand all over it. As do all the Moog synthesizers that get sold over here.
Posted: 9/21/2008 9:48:17 AM
Adi

Hmm -thanks guys -some food for thought here but the mystery deepens - do we ever get a Moog representative on this site to help out?

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.