The Day The Eath Stood Still with Peter Pringle

Posted: 11/29/2008 12:23:48 PM
GordonC

Early next week a new edition of the original 1951 The Day The Eath Stood Still will be released on 2 Disc DVD and Blu-ray.

(Amazon.com list both on 2nd December, Amazon.co.uk lists the Blu-ray only on 1st December.)

Featurettes new to this edition include "The Mysterious, Melodious Theremin" and "The Day The Earth Stood Still Main Title Live Performance By Peter Pringle".

(Peter Pringle played this on Dr Samuel Hoffman's RCA Victor theremin.)

(Yes, I know I spelt Earth wrong! It was the excitement that confused me.)
Posted: 11/30/2008 6:53:41 AM
coalport

It had been my understanding when 20th Century Fox came to my studio to shoot the sequence for the video release of THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL that my segment was to be included as an "extra" on the Blue Ray version of the remake (which would presumably be put on the market in early 2009, a couple of months after the release in theaters).

I have not seen the footage that was shot of me but apparently it did NOT end up on the cutting room floor as I had feared it might!

It certainly makes more sense to include it on a video release of the original film since the remake has no theremin in it.

On the other hand, Gordon, it could be that none of this has anything to do with THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL, but relates instead to a film called THE DAY THE "EATH" STOOD STILL, as your title indicates.

Ya gotta watch out for those eaths!

0000oooooOOOOOOO ))))))

Posted: 11/30/2008 11:08:48 AM
GordonC

Shucks. There goes my reputation as a precishun tpyist.

I guess those movie execs will say anything.

Reports of your presence on the disc do vary from site to site, so it will probably be best to read the back of the box before buying yet another copy of TDTESS - Maybe as a non-Blu-ray enabled Brit I will be spared the exquisite pleasure of having your visage splattered all over my plasma screen.
Posted: 1/17/2009 12:04:58 PM
omhoge

Apprently the Blue Ray exclusive edition also includes an “Interactive Theremin: Create Your Own Score”
Has anyone played with it? A new dvd set up is a ways off for me, but they are clearly trying to force me to upgrade. Can't wait to get the special edition, congrats and good work coalport!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.