New KC60 Roland amp - isolating a clipping problem

Posted: 12/28/2008 3:46:44 PM
dvision23

Hi, I play a Moog Etherwave Standard and have graduated from a Moog Keybaord Amp to a new KC60 keybaors amp. My normal playing volume was reaching a level that was causing the signal to clip with the Moog Amp. That drove me to larger amp. THe Kc60, brand new, is 10" compared to the MOog's 8" speaker size. It sounds distinctly richer, and I can definitely play it louder. But I still reach a similar clipping point... i.e. the sound gets raspy and distorts when you push the volume too far.

My questions are- do I need to keep trying bigger more expensive amps? My cables (cords) are not top quality - might the noise eminate from there? Some kind of resistance thing/contacts? I am not a tech head, but is there something inside the theremin I should consider tweaking or changing? I've ruled most everthing else out.

Thanks.
Posted: 12/28/2008 3:48:15 PM
dvision23

Sorry, I did not check spelling - Keyboard Amp.
Posted: 1/14/2009 4:53:28 PM
djpb_designs

I'm surprised no one else answered you question.

My guess is that you are driving the input to the keyboard amp too hard. If your theremin has an output level control, turn that down a bit and make up for the decrease in level by turning up the volume on the keyboard amp.

If you theremin does not have an output level control, you can use a volume pedal between it and the keyboard amp.

Don
Posted: 1/14/2009 5:05:18 PM
dvision23

Thanks. Here's an update. I put a BOSS 7band eq in line, between the theremin and the amp (along with a DigiDelay). I boost the mids and cut the rest on the BOSS EQ. There is a volume submaster on the BOSS device. I find I have to keep that lower. Otherwise, I find I'm not coming as close to overdriving it now. No cable change. The new amp is massively better than the MOOG theremin amp.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.