etherwave power cord--individual or mass problem?

Posted: 1/15/2009 4:46:38 PM
iridescentgreen

I have an Etherwave Standard, and I've noticed that the power cord gets unplugged really easily. Is this a problem for anyone else? I mean, I'll be playing or something and all of a sudden the power cord will slip out and I have to slip it back in, which makes odd noises.

Is there something wrong with my cord or is it just a universal weakness?
Posted: 1/15/2009 5:15:44 PM
Thierry

The so-called DIN-plug wouldn't be my first choice when designing an electronic device. It is normal that it unplugs easily.

I have the same problem when using often the power chord as a muting switch by placing it on top of the volume loop.

But when correctly plugged and nothing moves it should naturally stay in place.
Posted: 1/15/2009 5:56:26 PM
iridescentgreen

Okay, thank you!

That makes me feel a lot better about it.
Posted: 1/23/2009 6:52:37 AM
sinewave

Maybe you could replace your connectors on both the Etherwave and ac adaptor. I have Nagra tape recorder which uses 6pin metal DIN connector with screw, so you can secure it by turning the ring on the connector. Just google something like "5pin DIN with screw"...
Good luck!
sinewave
Posted: 1/23/2009 7:19:19 AM
dr lobotomy

Something that happens quite often with my etherwave is the plastic sheath on the cord slips down over the metal part of the plug so it doesn't plug in properly and I have to pull the metal bits further out with some pliers and reattach them to the sheath. Perhaps yours has slipped too making it prone to falling out?
Posted: 1/23/2009 8:08:26 AM
iridescentgreen

thank you sinewave and dr. lobotomy!
I am totally inexperienced when it comes to dealing with hardware of any type, but I will look into it, certainly.

Usually, though, as long as I'm not moving the theremin it stays in.

Looking at my cord now, it seems that the plastic sheathing is quite stationary. thank you, though.
Posted: 1/23/2009 6:18:44 PM
GordonC

Some suggestions.

Mark the top of the plug with something easily visible - I used silver ink - so that it is easy to get the right way up - those thin pins are easily bent.

Tape the lead to your mike stand so there is no pull on the plug.

Don't stand on the plug just before a performance and have to reconstruct it with a borrowed pair of pliers. (I speak from experience.)
Posted: 1/23/2009 9:26:08 PM
iridescentgreen

Thanks Gordon. The cord is already marked and I'm always careful about that...I can see how those could just snap off if one tried to put it in upside down.

And I will try not to stand on it at any time, thanks:)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.