Thierry E-Pro Mod - Part 2

Posted: 7/31/2009 8:43:44 PM
Jeff S

Is it possible you installed it backwards?

If so, the diodes will not have the correct (if any) effect.

[edit - response to below]

I had to ask. It was worth a shot anyway.
Posted: 7/31/2009 9:40:32 PM
Etherspiel

Hi Jeff -

Good thinking, but it was installed correctly.
Posted: 8/1/2009 4:41:12 AM
Thierry

Pragmatic: If the modified instrument doesn't show the expected behavior please send the module back for a refund.

Scientific: I torture my brain why your Epro could behave in a quite reversed manner, but I must admit: Actually I have no idea. It is a pitty that you live so far away. I would be very interested in analyzing your Epro.
Posted: 8/1/2009 5:32:10 AM
Thierry

Pragmatic: If the modified instrument doesn't show the expected behavior please send the module back for a refund.

Scientific: I torture my brain why your Epro could behave in a quite reversed manner, but I must admit: Actually I have no idea. It is a pitty that you live so far away. I would be very interested in analyzing your Epro.
Posted: 8/1/2009 7:21:11 AM
coalport

Since the Etherwave Pro seems to have gone through some factory modifications to its volume control circuits during the short time it was in production, could it be that the famous Thierry magical module only works on earlier models?

I was very pleased with my magical module, but my E'Pro was from the first generation.

If Etherspiel's volume field has contracted since he installed the module, it could be that the tiny inside screw whose access hole can be found just next to the ports where the loop plugs into the cabinet, needs to be adjusted. This screw is for gross adjustment of the volume field and the slightest change, even one degree, in its setting can make a HUGE difference.

It has been my experience (and I've had PLENTY, believe me!) that whenever you make any sort of modification to a theremin the entire instrument can be affected in a variety of unexpected, and sometimes inexplicable, ways. There's a kind of "domino effect" that happens. This can necessitate all sorts of adjustments to parts of the instrument that have nothing to do with the area you modified.

Etherspiel, you may have given up on the magical module prematurely. BTW I have enjoyed your intelligent and informed posts to the "Levnet" section of this forum more than I can tell you!
Posted: 8/1/2009 8:16:11 AM
Thierry

Since I offer also a kind of "factory upgrade", that means that people send me their volume boards in for installation of the module, and since I've already installed some myself in my French and Swiss neighborhood, I have seen several different revisions of the volume board, but all had the same concerned circuit section, so that coalport's theory might perhaps not apply. I also think that there is a general tuning problem on Etherspiel's volume circuit which shows up the more one tries to extend the dynamic range, but I'm not sure that I am able to help him in correcting this at distance. So I prefer refunding him instead of having a customer who is not satisfied at 200%.
Randy George had a problem with his volume circuit from the moment when he bought his EPro. Installing the original Moog mod did not help him. It seems (following what he wrote me) that it was thanks to my module that he was finally able to fine-adjust his Epro for what he calls now "perfect expression".

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.