Theremin student in Italy needs tool

Posted: 8/12/2009 10:47:55 AM
Thomas Grillo

Hi all,

One of my students in Italy is in need of the plastic tool which normally comes with the Etherwave Standard. His theremin was baught used, and did not come with the tool.

A few months back I tried to send him a tool, but customs never let the package through, nor did they return it. Anyway, If anyone knows of a place in, or near Italy which has this tool in stock, or would be willing to send my student one of these tools, please let me know by sending an e-mail to my e-mail adress. Still can't get notifications from TW to my comcast email.

Thanks.
Posted: 8/12/2009 3:14:51 PM
Jeff S

Assuming this is basically a plastic screwdriver, a reasonable facsimile could be fashioned with a sharp knife and any hard wood or plastic.

You could use any hardwood stick, hardwood dowel, or a bamboo skewer. Or, depending on the size needed hard plastic such as disposable plastic cutlery, although these tend to be rather brittle.

In a pinch, a stiff guitar pick could be used as is or modified.

Some devices, such as electric hair trimmers, sometimes come with small plastic screwdrivers as well.
Posted: 8/13/2009 9:53:06 AM
Thomas Grillo

Thanks Jeff, He's been that route, and has given up trying to make the tool. His variable inductors use hex heads, and he's allready damaged, and replaced one of the inductors after using an improvised tool.
Posted: 8/14/2009 5:54:15 PM
bald_dad

Is This (http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Fasteners-Production-Equipment/Hand-Tools/Screwdrivers/Trimming-tool-set/61607/kw/trimming)the kind of thing?

Any good electronics retailer will have something I think.

Malcolm
Posted: 8/14/2009 9:24:47 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

RS Components (U.K.) sell this (http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=0543147) and I believe they have outlets in other countries
Posted: 8/15/2009 4:17:04 PM
Thomas Grillo

Thanks Fred, I'll pass this along to my student.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.