Forthcoming Mani Deum album teaser

Posted: 11/9/2009 9:41:34 AM
Marble Field

My band, Mani Deum, is working on its forthcoming album, the first since I joined in as a full time thereminist (I also happen to be the recording and mixing engineer of the project). My main goal is to blend my theremin playing along with the other instruments as part of the orchestration and not merely as an attraction.
We've uploaded a teaser of the album, a rough-mixed and still incomplete version of one of our songs, "Wave Goodbye", on the bands Myspace profile Mani Deum (http://www.myspace.com/manideum)
I'd really appreciate it if you'd spend a couple of minutes listening to it! Feel free to drop any comment about anything regarding the song or any other thought that may come up!
Thanx in advance!
Posted: 11/9/2009 3:00:57 PM
Thierry

Hmmm, do you want a polite or a honest commentary?

To be honest I was deeply deceived. The name of the Band "Mani Deum" made me expect some musical virtuosity, artistic artwork and a technical level far beyond the average. "Mani Deum", this is for me Leonard Bernstein as a conductor, Krystian Zimerman as a pianist, Jacqueline Dupré as a cellist, Aurèle Nicolet as a flutist, Paco de Lucia as a guitarist, Charly Antolini as a drummer. "Mani Deum" insinuates silver pearls dancing around the partition.

But the three pieces on your mySpace profile had none of them. Clumsy music without any brilliance. No element which would distinguish it from the products of thousands of other amateur bands. No extraordinary virtuous solo parts. Tired ballades without any highlights. The theremin part in the "Wave" piece is a boring ostinato which doesn't exceed a ninth range and is most time slightly off key.

So I'd consider to rename the band "Mani Rhinocerem" (I tried my best to match the incorrect accusative)
Posted: 11/9/2009 3:33:33 PM
Marble Field

You have wrongly assumed that the band's name is a reference to the band's musical "genious" or the members' virtuosity, which of course is not. It was never our goal, nor can we compare to the afforementioned artists. We're making pop songs.
Apart from that, thanks for taking the time to listen and respond.
Posted: 11/9/2009 6:07:19 PM
GordonC

I enjoyed the recordings on your myspace profile.

They wouldn't have been out of place in my record collection when I was a teenager, back in the late 70's and early 80's, somewhere between Wire circa 154 and The Ideal Copy and early Bowie, with elements of a lot of other things too.

Wave Goodbye sounded like a decent "first album" track, and I like first albums with a bit of raw energy about them.

My expectations were also coloured by the name: I was minded of a jolly good high-energy electro-punk band I saw a while ago: Contra Mundum. (Who really need to visit their myspace profile (http://www.myspace.com/wearecontramundum). Theirry, don't bother clicking on the link - it has to be played very loud indeed, and their profile will offend your sensibilities as a website designer.)

In comparison Mani Deum is almost commercial. It certainly isn't a wall of sound punctuated by a fully grown man leaping about the stage yelling "Make fatty pay!"

Isn't it interesting how people's tastes and perceptions can differ so much.
Posted: 11/10/2009 8:05:20 AM
Marble Field

Really interesting band there Gordon! I love this post rock twist into their electronic music. They somehow reminded me of Husker Du, though not obviously similar. Something in the energy they propel through the loudspeakers maybe...
Oh, and thanks for the comments!
Posted: 11/10/2009 9:21:53 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

I didnt like "wave goodbye" - But was impressed by the Theremin playing on it (that was a Theremin ?) - particularly the sharpness of the volume envelope shaping.. It almost sounded too synth - like.

I really liked "everythings + nothings" - Think a bit of Theremin lead could really make that track! ;-_

I hated "conditional uncondition"

Although 'rough', I loved the song/video "My past is leaking" .. This song reminded me of early Pink Floyd a bit - Ummagumma era.

But, like all music, its down to what gets 'triggered' in the listener I suppose.. I think you are quite capable musicians in your own right - and you have songwriting talent..

If you did more like "my past is leaking" I might buy an album.. but thats just me - stuck with Yes,Genesis,Tull,Floyd,ELP,Camel,Hawkwind etc.. and now, as a function of my age perhaps, turning to classical :-(
Posted: 11/10/2009 9:51:59 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

[i]"My expectations were also coloured by the name: I was minded of a jolly good high-energy electro-punk band I saw a while ago: Contra Mundum. (Who really need to visit their myspace profile. Theirry, don't bother clicking on the link - it has to be played very loud indeed, and their profile will offend your sensibilities as a website designer.)" - GordonC [/i]

LOL! - The website looks more confused than a teenage desktop!

There is one track which I really loved.. "Surrounded by Slough" - I imagine the other tracks might be ok if I was right in front of a 10kW speaker, completely smashed, and watching them live.. but with everyone else asleep in the house, I cannot get the required volume from my 'cans without waking them up! ;-)

Posted: 11/10/2009 11:55:34 PM
dae23

I grew up on Current 93 and Death in June! That's the first I've ever seen them listed in someone's "Influences" section.

I dug the music and the theremin worked well within it. That particular sound just slid right in. I'm not real big on his vocals - first listen but on a second listen they grew on me just a little.

It did seem REALLY influenced by the above mentioned bands, perhaps a little too much but who am I to say. I can think of worse bands to be influenced by ;)

Posted: 11/14/2009 8:41:45 AM
Marble Field

Thanks for all your replies people. Your time and opinions are much appreciated!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.