Series 91A at ebay

Posted: 12/17/2009 8:41:00 PM
Thomas Grillo

Just saw this on ebay while poking around.

http://tinyurl.com/yhovvvb
Posted: 12/20/2009 6:17:53 AM
coalport

I see the bidding was to start at $7,500.00! The auction ended on Friday with no bids at all. I think the seller was a bit optimistic.
Posted: 12/20/2009 9:01:30 AM
Thierry

If I remember well they were sold new for around 3500$. If one takes into account that they have nice housings on on side but that they aren't "real" theremins on the other side, I think that 2500$ would be a more realistic price.

Why aren't they "real" theremins? There were always rumors that the pitch antenna was used to attenuate a rf signal as a function of hand proximity. The resulting control voltage was intended to control directly an audio frequency generator. So there wouldn't be neither a second pitch oscillator nor a mixer stage.

I found this principle of operation fully confirmed when I had been asked to diagnose a Moog 91C with pitch range problems during the NodeFestival in Lausanne, Switzerland last weekend.

Finally I could help the owner by finding out that the main frequency determining capacitor of the pitch oscillator had lost some of his capacitance. I told him to buy 4 capacitors (1pF, 2.2pF, 4.7pF, 10pF) and to solder them one after the other in parallel to the existing capacitor until the pitch range would be within the normal specs.
Posted: 12/26/2009 10:05:32 PM
hypergolic

This one looks rough. Why wasn't it taken better care of if it was a "one of a kind" unit. Scratched all to hell and back.....

P

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.