Microphones and Recording the Theremin

Posted: 2/5/2010 11:18:00 PM
Extheremintal

Heyo, I did try the Search function before making this post, but it wasn't helpful, if this has come up before just toss me the link, and we'll be done.

Anyways, I've been recording videos for youtube of me playing and learning the theremin, the trouble is the recordings all sound horrible (and not the same horrible way that my playing would cause). I'm assuming it is one of three things, which I mention in order of plausibility.

First off, my microphone might be crap, sure it has proven well enough for talking, but my conversations rarely cover the same range as a song, and maybe it just has trouble with certain pitchs; I have noticed that past a certain point the recording sounds off, if it goes higher than the G about Middle C for example.

Secondly, the layout of my microphone in relationships to my speakers is not optimal, though I have tried three arrangements.

Lastly, maybe my speakers are crap, and while the theremin sounds one way to ear, it's picking up imperfections that I'm missing.

So for those with more experience, I'm wondering how do you record yourself playing the theremin? What mic do you have, how do you have the mic and speaker/amp laid out?

Or any other ideas would be welcome.

Thanks.
Posted: 2/6/2010 1:20:54 AM
Jeff S

Posted: 2/6/2010 7:50:40 AM
coalport

Hi Ex,

I've watched some of your vids and I agree, the audio isn't good.

First of all, there is a lot of phasing. I can't say for sure, but I think this probably has to do with the way the format you are uploading to YouTube is interacting with the processing, compressing, etc. that YT puts it through before adding it to your channel.

Also, I suspect that the electret microphone on your camera has a built-in fast limiter/expander which tends to clip the ends of spoken sentences and musical phrases while adding "attack" to the beginning.

As you know, sound engineering is an art unto itself. The results you have will depend largely on the quality of the equipment you are using. Unfortunately, high end equipment costs high end bucks. A really good studio mic costs far more than an Etherwave theremin.

What you could try is recording your work on a device that is completely separate from your camera (perhaps using your computer) while you are performing so that you will have two completely separate recordings of the same performance: one on your camera and the other on your recording device. Then all you have to do is sync the two recordings and mute the camera track.

This process will require some sort of video software. I use iMovie (very user friendly) which came with my Mac. I make my audio recording into an mp3, put it into my computer's music library, and then paste the mp3 to my video. I sync the two audio tracks by ear until they are exactly aligned and then mute the camera track. It sounds complicated but it can be done in just a few minutes once you get the hang of it.

You could try recording directly to your camera, bypassing the built-in mic altogether but I have found that unsatisfactory and not all cameras give you this option.

There are quite a few "out-of-the-box" theremin videos on YT where people share what they have discovered about the instrument with their friends, even though they have only had it for a very short time. Sometimes only a few hours! For "show and tell" vids of this sort, audiovisual quality is not as important as the enthusiasm and excitement they communicate about their new found passion. You have plenty of that passion and enthusiasm, you are very bright, and that makes you fun and interesting to watch.

Here is an example of a video I posted to YT a few days ago where I used the process I described above. It is a piece for MIDI theremin and throat singing. Not exactly Beethoven's 9th!

MIDI Theremin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3ZkBYEsPz8)

Posted: 2/7/2010 5:31:14 PM
GordonC

In answer to your question, I started recording my playing using the mic of my Plantronics DSP-500 USB headset placed within a few centimetres of the centre of my amp's (*) speaker, as I had seen done by the professional engineer/producer (Pierre) that records my theremin at the group recording events I attend from time to time.

I agree with Coalport that a pro microphone is a good investment, but my budget did not run to more than £1500 for a Sennheiser MKH 20, which I'm sure would be lovely, so I hunted around the appropriate internet forums to find an answer to the question "What's the studio work-horse mike, the one they have lying around by the dozen, and use to mike up pretty much anything except for vocals and drums - engineers appear to have [i]opinions[/i] in those areas. ;-) ?"

A popular answer was the Shure SM57, which was about £50, so I got one of those for whenever I need a mike.

These days I record the etherwave directly from an SR Technologies Jam 150+ combi amp and mixer, using an M-Audio Firewire Solo to connect it to my MacBook. (I chose them both after seeing and hearing them in use by performing thereminists who gave good reports of their simplicity, reliability and appropriateness for theremin soloist use. Pierre was delighted when I upgraded my amp and could offer him a balanced XLR connection to his mixer BTW.)

The piece of advice I would most have benefited from when I started recording myself is to watch the levels - check them with a long slow sweep through the theremin's whole range and stay a safe distance from the red line or warning light.

(*) A Fender Frontman 15R - not really suited to the etherwave - it expects guitar level inputs, not line-level, so I had to work around that. But a nice sound (**) for the price. It worked just fine on the theremin I had before the etherwave.

(**)The advice I was given by a former engineer with theremin recording experience was to choose an amp intended primarily for acoustic instruments, and I think it was good advice. I like the etherwave's tone uncoloured by the amp (***). I shape it slightly by boosting the bass and dropping the treble a little on the combi. The Jam 150+ is designed with "folk singer with guitar" in mind, it seems to me.

(***) I was at one of Lydia Kavina's workshops yesterday, and I noticed that a lot of the amps people brought were distorting the timbre of their instruments; to my ear this seemed unpleasant but they appeared unconcerned by it, so maybe it's just me.
Posted: 2/10/2010 4:31:43 PM
Extheremintal

I realized I made the class mistake in this post, and should know better from my time working on a trouble shooting board. So I’ll correct that, then address the responses.

Video wise, I’m using the Acer Crystal Eye webcam that came with my computer.

Audio input wise, I’m using a Nexxtech Desktop microphone, model 2616447.

Audio output wise, I’m using Insignia computer speakers, NS-PCS20

Software wise, I’m just using the built in recording program on my computer. I’ve tried using Debut Video Capture, but it makes no difference, so I assume the problem is with the other three components.

@ Coalport

“First of all, there is a lot of phasing. I can't say for sure, but I think this probably has to do with the way the format you are uploading to YouTube is interacting with the processing, compressing, etc. that YT puts it through before adding it to your channel.”

Phasing is the audio cutting out in the middle of a note, correct? Youtube is a pretty accurate portrayal of how the video sounds on my computer, so unfortunately the issue is not there.

“The results you have will depend largely on the quality of the equipment you are using.”

Sadly I’m realizing this is more the case than I initially thought, as my speakers are starting to “fritz” on some of the high notes, and at louder volumes. Initially I thought I’d just use my old cheap computer speakers, which sounded and worked fine for a while, but they don’t seem to be able to handle the theremin for that long.

“There are quite a few "out-of-the-box" theremin videos on YT where people share what they have discovered about the instrument with their friends, even though they have only had it for a very short time. Sometimes only a few hours! For "show and tell" vids of this sort, audiovisual quality is not as important as the enthusiasm and excitement they communicate about their new found passion.”

*nods* My purpose/hope is to get to move from the “out-of-the-box” videos, where I’m explaining my process about learning, and eventually move into performance based videos.

“ You have plenty of that passion and enthusiasm, you are very bright, and that makes you fun and interesting to watch.”

Thank you.

@GordonC

“In answer to your question, I started recording my playing using the mic of my Plantronics DSP-500 USB headset placed within a few centimetres of the centre of my amp's (*) speaker ... "What's the studio work-horse mike, the one they have lying around by the dozen, and use to mike up pretty much anything except for vocals and drums - engineers appear to have opinions in those areas. ;-) ?"
A popular answer was the Shure SM57, which was about £50, so I got one of those for whenever I need a mike.”

Thanks this is a great recommendation. Even if I can’t find a Shure SM57 nearby (unlikely) at least it gives me a good set of specs to compare to.

Posted: 2/10/2010 6:08:28 PM
GordonC

[i]find a Shure SM57 nearby (unlikely)[/i]

If you live where your youTube channel says you live, then likely.

Long & McQuade (at 1133 Markham Rd (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=1133+Markham+Rd++toronto&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=13.940309,39.462891&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=1133+Markham+Rd,+Toronto,+Toronto+Division,+Ontario,+Canada&ll=43.775386,-79.231296&spn=0.008305,0.019269&z=16&layer=c&cbll=43.775457,-79.231336&panoid=g5hA3NADLYsXTrtXF75ZXw&cbp=12,47.73,,3,-0.93)) sell them (http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/1092/).

more options (http://www.shurecanada.com/ProAudio/EN/wheretobuy.htm)
Posted: 2/12/2010 1:35:55 PM
coalport

Hi Extheremintal,

I just watched your latest theremin progress video on YT. It is good that you are adapting what you are learning from my DVD (and from other sources as well) to your own needs and comfort level. I do have one suggestion.

Since you are playing "a cappella" (that is without any accompaniment) I think it would be a good idea for you to use a pitch reference tone of some sort that will sound continuously as you play so that you do not drift off pitch. You started your latest performance of ODE in the key of F# Major but you ended it in E Major. There was a whole tone drop in pitch over the space of just eight bars.

If you have a small electronic keyboard of some kind, you can use it as a reference by taping one of the keys down (whichever key you want to play in) and letting it sound continuously at a VERY low volume, as you play. It should not be any louder than it has to be in order for you to hear it.

This is very good ear training and it will keep you from repeatedly practicing intervals that are not on pitch. The only people who don't need a pitch reference tone are those rare individuals who have perfect pitch. The rest of us (that includes me) will tend to drift when playing a theremin, or singing, unaccompanied. More traditional instruments don't have this problem because they are of fixed tuning.

Don't worry about hitting a brick wall with your theremin progress. We all do. You will get past that and then hit another one later on. Yeah, I know, it's a drag! But that's the nature of the beast. Don't get discouraged. Keep up the good work.
Posted: 2/14/2010 6:14:05 PM
Extheremintal

@ Gordan C

“If you live where your youTube channel says you live, then likely.
Long & McQuade (at 1133 Markham Rd) sell them.”

Actually to be specific, my channel says Toronto, but Scarborough is my proper location (though technically Scarborough became part of Toronto a decade ago, but that’s politics), and I live just a few minutes south of Long & McQuade, so I’ll definitely check it out. Funny, because I checked some of the bigger stores downtown, and they either didn’t have it, or they were a chunk more expensive than online, but L&M seems to be more reasonable. Thanks for pointing me at them.

@ coalport

“Since you are playing "a cappella" (that is without any accompaniment) I think it would be a good idea for you to use a pitch reference tone of some sort that will sound continuously as you play so that you do not drift off pitch. You started your latest performance of ODE in the key of F# Major but you ended it in E Major. There was a whole tone drop in pitch over the space of just eight bars.

If you have a small electronic keyboard of some kind, you can use it as a reference by taping one of the keys down (whichever key you want to play in) and letting it sound continuously at a VERY low volume, as you play. It should not be any louder than it has to be in order for you to hear it.”

Thanks, this is excellent advice. While I made a basic MIDI of Ode to Joy to play with, without it as reference note-for-note, I do find myself drifting, but a sustained note for a continuing...relative comparison would be helpful, I didn’t think on that. I think in part my issue with Ode to Joy has been most of my practice has been a cappella, where as songs I’m learning with accompaniment or just playing along to, I’m picking up quicker because I can hear and correct drifting a lot easier.

“Don't worry about hitting a brick wall with your theremin progress. We all do. You will get past that and then hit another one later on. Yeah, I know, it's a drag! But that's the nature of the beast. Don't get discouraged. Keep up the good work.”

Heh, thanks, as said I’m not going to give up, but it is frustrating, and it’s helpful to know (or more properly to be reminded) that it happens, and it goes away.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.