Theremin's life as movie?

Posted: 7/24/2010 11:21:52 PM
Merula

I know there was a documentary but I'm thinking that Theremin's extraordinary life would make a great feature film especially with all the espionage and stuff. Not sure which actor could play the part (maybe not Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt!).
Any film makers out there interested?
Posted: 7/25/2010 11:29:37 AM
Jeff S

I'm sure a fim about Lev would be of interest to the small community of thereminists. The thing is, to be of interest to the general public, the director would need to , uh...lets just say, embellish the truth a little bit. Is that something you think you could live with?

Obviously, the story would be a tough sell. Perhaps, if you took it upon yourself to write a killer screenplay, you could get the interest of some up-and-coming director.

I definitely say NO to Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt. Lev was a much more striking looking fellow! I think you'd need to find some little known actor who could use this as a vehicle to (hopefully) catapult his career.

Here's another big question...who would play Clara?

There's one thing that would frighten me about that. If there was a scene of "Clara" playing the theremin, how dreadful would the "hand syncing" be? Would a non-thereminist understand "the theremin stare"?

Along the same lines, I think Nikola Tesla could also make an interesting subject for a film. There would certainly be fodder for special effects.
Posted: 7/26/2010 10:47:08 AM
vonbuck

Well to get the teenage boys and teenage boys at heart, Meagan Fox would have to play Clara. We would need an action star to play Lev. Spy's, shooting. Lev designing a car that flies, using magnetic waves to detrack bullets, maybe even flying shoes.
As interesting as his story is to us. I believe most of the movie going public will find it uninteresting with things blowing up and sex.
Ohh, gotta zoom, there's a Bourne movie on..

Andy
Posted: 7/27/2010 7:03:56 AM
coalport

This idea has been kicked around Hollywood ever since ELECTRONIC ODYSSEY came out in 1994. The problem is, there is no story. There was never any real, overt espionage, violence or sex!

In order to create a viable scenario, you would have to stretch the truth waaaaay past the breaking point and turn Lev into 007, and Clara Rockmore into Pussy Galore!

When this whole proposal was still being seriously shopped around to the studios, Pamelia Kurstin was suggested for the role of Clara.

The other night I watched NEW MOON, the second in the TWILIGHT series of teen vamp romances. Maybe I'm just getting too old and too jaded but I don't think I have ever seen such a thoroughly stupid and badly made film! It was poorly acted, unimaginatively scripted and incompetently directed. It was just AWFUL!

Once or twice in the course of the movie, I heard myself exclaim out loud, "I can't believe I'm actually watching this piece of SHIT!"

LOL

Posted: 7/27/2010 11:31:16 PM
hypergolic

Tesla was a prominent figure in the movie "The Prestige". Just enough facts to make it reasonably accurate. Frankly though, its one messed up movie!!!

Philip
Posted: 7/28/2010 9:48:59 AM
vonbuck

What about this, Lev and Telsa are vampires. They team up to save Manhattan from werewolves and space aliens.
They will be young, pretty and sparkle. And like the vampires on Buffy, be endowed with kung fu super powers.
To keep it factual, the theremin was designed to deflect the alien invasion.

Andy

Posted: 7/28/2010 4:00:37 PM
coalport

THIS IDEA IS BRILLIANT!

It has universal appeal. I wonder if the idea would appeal to Universal?

Hmmmmmm
Posted: 7/29/2010 3:46:49 PM
kkissinger

[i]"The other night I watched NEW MOON, the second in the TWILIGHT series of teen vamp romances. Maybe I'm just getting too old and too jaded but I don't think I have ever seen such a thoroughly stupid and badly made film! It was poorly acted, unimaginatively scripted and incompetently directed. It was just AWFUL!"[/i]

Even worse than "Anacondas"?

Oh gawd... "Anacondas" has to be the worst of the worst. And... how is it that a boat, traveling upstream, goes over a waterfall?
Posted: 7/30/2010 7:39:51 PM
coalport

ANACONDAS wasn't a blockbuster. NEW MOON presumably is.

Remember the "mating ball"?

I have never known how ANACONDAS ended because I fell asleep!

THE REVENGE OF MORPHEUS

Posted: 7/30/2010 11:22:13 PM
vonbuck

Was Anacondas the one with J-Lo, or was that Anacondas II? (shudder)

Andy

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.