Superiority Amongst Equals Part III

Posted: 11/15/2010 6:58:55 AM
GordonC

Follows on from here (http://www.thereminworld.com/forum.asp?cmd=p&T=4703&F=1&p=3).

Fred, there are exceptions to the rule.

For instance, when I use a vacuum cleaner I am hoovering, except when I wear a pretty frock in which case the correct term is Hoovering.

The truth is, my grammatical fascism is entirely context dependant. When [i]I[/i] am typing I apply it almost all the time. (*) On internet forums other people's adherence to conventional grammar and spelling or lack thereof does not bother me in the slightest. So do what you want. I appreciate that people have better things to do with their time than proof reading. In contexts where proofing is expected - books, newspapers and so on - its lack annoys the heck out of me. Well, unless it's intentional. My father got exactly one word (**) into Finnegans Wake before he commented "Huh. You're supposed to start a sentence with a capital letter." He read no further.

(*) Mostly because I find it almost impossible to do otherwise, although I can justify it as being considerate to non-native English speakers who rely on shoddy tools like online translation services that need all the help they can get.

(**) Possibly just one letter, as he did not complain that riverrun is not a proper word.
Posted: 11/15/2010 12:56:42 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

[i]"my grammatical fascism" - Gordon.[/i]

LOL! - I would not have been THAT extreme! (reminds me a bit of a recent email I recieved.. I think "fascism" is often used way out of context - and this tends to attenuate the repulsiveness of real fascism).

[i]"For instance, when I use a vacuum cleaner I am hoovering, except when I wear a pretty frock in which case the correct term is Hoovering."[/i]

Ooohch! Some things are too painful to even think about! ;-)

[i]"On internet forums other people's adherence to conventional grammar and spelling or lack thereof does not bother me in the slightest. So do what you want."[/i]

That is easier said than done - "innocence is bliss" - No problem making mistakes I am ignorant about, no real problem doing things 'wrong' knowingly if no-one seems to notice.. But I do have a problem doing things wrong once I have been pulled-up (and/or lost the argument).. I have made a start - My spelling checker turned "theremin" into "Theremin" .. I have corrected this, so at least anything I do on Word will now accept "theremin".. LOL! ;-)

And I have now thrown out the "book of Fritz".

Fred.
Posted: 11/16/2010 6:00:34 AM
coalport

And a fetching little thing you are too, hoovering in that little frock!

(Never begin a sentence with "and"),

One thing we must be constantly aware of on the internet is that we may be dealing with someone whose native language is not English. It is considered bad netiquette to criticize someone's spelling or grammar but mistakes can reveal much about the person you are communicating with.

While English is very forgiving, French is not.

I make plenty of mistakes which I usually notice when I go over what I have written but most of the time I leave them alone because they reflect the way we speak.

When a thereminist plays a theremin, they often don't notice wrong notes.
Posted: 11/16/2010 8:29:31 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Damn! - He made it [b]so clear!![/b]

Its [b]H[/b]oovering when [i][Gordon is][/i] in a frock, NOT "hoovering"[b]![/b]
Posted: 11/16/2010 7:19:16 PM
coalport

When Gordon is in a frock it's "Whovering".

Posted: 11/16/2010 7:53:26 PM
GordonC

Who? Why, the other FredM, of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hMrY8jysdg

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.