Theremin cameo in a piece I am working on...

Posted: 3/8/2011 5:20:19 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Hi Amey,

I listened to the song before the comments appeared - I love the theremin intro, and I love your voice - and I heard every word clearly.

.. I am glad that the issue of the words came up, and that Coalport asked "which religion" .. because, prior to that, the lyrics turned me off.

You say:[i] " Love...
The universal religion - the very first one everyone should start to live by...
rather than destroying each other![/i]

And I wholeheartedly empathise with these sentiments.. However, I fear that by linking "love" and "religion" and particularly the use of the phrase "one religion" your real lyrical intention will be lost.

IMHO religion and love are unrelated - and quite often diametrically opposed. I would change the words to "one conviction" or "one direction" or anything other than "one religion" !

But I am probably extremely reactive on this subject! ;-) I hate only one thing .. and this is religion (particularly dogmatic, unspiritual, unloving, arrogant, cruel, proselatizing, authoritarian, or judgemental religions) - and I do not think that love should be called a religion, as love is none of those things.

kind regards, Fred.

[i] I abhor the idea of "under the sun, one religion" - This idea is utter horror to me - it could only come about by means of force and violence. I hate the idea of living under the tyrany of any regime - and the only way that people will conform to one religious construct is if those who will not conform are murdered or lobotomised or bullied into submission. The day we have one global religion is the day that humanity has lost its spirit.. Islam, Christianity whatever - they are all as bad as each other, and there are those in all of them who would love to impose their religion on the world. I have no problem with anyone having their personal beliefs, no matter how idiotic these beliefs may seem to me.. But I do have a problem with people trying to influence my world with some dogma given to them by thier "god".[/i]
Posted: 3/8/2011 6:59:41 PM
Amethyste

Fred -
Thank you for the reply, comment and you sharing your view on the sentence in the song...

Unfortunately, people often take things very literally. Per instance, if you go on Dictionary.com and type the word "religion" you'll find many definitions/meanings for one single word. If you glance all the way to #6, you'll read this:

Something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience.

The word here is "something" and that something in my song is referred to the word "love". We should practice loving one another, devotedly/religiously. That's what i meant to say - and was hoping that people would be able to read in between the lines and understand what I was trying to imply. Someone might thing that it is not love, but "trust" or "Acceptance" or "Tolerance" that they want to practice, the world "religion" here is vagely referenced so that each and everyone who listens to the song can fill in the "dots" per se and related these words to their own life.

Nothing more, nothing less. :)
Posted: 3/8/2011 11:02:43 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Oops.. Double post ;-)

[img] http://www.element-14.com/community/servlet/JiveServlet/download/27906-37061/fish2.JPG[/img]

[i]"Go with the flow ?? - We are in a bloody fish tank !! "[/i]

''If God had not intended for us to eat animals, how come He made them out of meat?'' —Sarah Palin, in ''Going Rogue''

Posted: 3/9/2011 10:13:18 AM
coalport

I looked up "agape" in my dictionary and found quite a different, adjectival definition of the word! "Agape" = "wide apart or hanging open", but even this dovetails quite nicely with the idea of "love".

Posted: 3/9/2011 10:20:53 AM
Amethyste

Fred -

Do you dissect every little thing in your life like this? Do you ever "just go with the flow" sometimes?

Try it! It's fun to let go of control once in a while ;)
Posted: 3/9/2011 2:18:46 PM
Touchless

Oh So Beautiful,

I tried to learn the Vietnamese language with its French influence only to fail because of my own cultural up bringing. Here in the states we can use ten different words to describe the same thing while in Vietnam they use a single word “expressed differently” to describe ten separate ideas or things.

I know Agape, having given aid to a race of people I loved, that suffered. I was a photographer staring into the carnage of true evil caused by two sides with “religious” fervor thinking what they were doing was right.

Knock it off Fred; you have your knowledge of who has authority to define what is morally correct. Don’t take something beautiful and disembowel it for your own pleasure.

Amethyste’s choice of words captured the meaning of what she intended or the words would never have stirred the pot.

“Love and doubt have never been on speaking terms.” Kahlil Gibran
Posted: 3/9/2011 5:55:50 PM
Jeff S

Everyone is entitled to their own point of view. That doesn't necessarily mean it is wise to express it. There's a time and place for everything.

In most circumstances, it is generally wise to steer clear of topics such as politics and religion.
Posted: 3/9/2011 5:55:56 PM
Jeff S

Oops! Sorry about the double post. The website is really dragging on me today.
Posted: 3/9/2011 7:41:46 PM
coalport

Amey wrote: Do you ever "just go with the flow" sometimes?

"The only fish that 'go with the flow' are dead!" Sarah Palin

Posted: 3/9/2011 9:21:56 PM
Amethyste

Touchless - Thank you so much for the wonderful comments on my song - I am glad that you were able to read more into what I was trying to say... I know Vietnamese is a hard language to learn. My neighbors were Vietnamese and they tried to teach me a little when I was young and well.. that didn't work out lol. I think I was trying to express through my piece the importance to be "one" under the sun - and try to see with your heart what your eyes cannot. THank you again for listening and commenting :)

Jeff - I just posted my song for people to listen to the Theremin mostly, but then Religion was brought up and well, that's where we are at the moment. I am sorry if I stirred up bad emotions, it truly wasn't my intention...

Coalport - I think you are such a little prankster ;) Jeff just mentioned that it is a wise thing to stead clear from subject talking about politics and religion... And here you are taking about Sarah Palin. She should go with the flow I guess lol. Not the kind of woman/person I'd like to take advices from!!!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.