Precision Vs. Expression

Posted: 7/3/2011 5:40:20 PM
Amethyste

Which Thereminist would you rather listen to?

One that is 95% on pitch but has little expression in the delivery of music

Or one that is 85% on pitch but can deliver a piece of music from the heart and feeling?

It's a tough Choice!
Posted: 7/3/2011 7:10:56 PM
Thierry

I'd listen to both, because you can never say that a specific thereminist is always off key or plays always with poor expression (ok, there are rare exceptions from this rule...). Even the "professionals" among us have high and low days. So I listen to everybody and I will not judge someone after a single performance. In my world everybody deserves a second chance, and a third one, and a fourth one...
Posted: 7/3/2011 7:24:24 PM
AlKhwarizmi

I guess it depends on how badly off pitch is 85%, but I think in general I'd stick with the second. IMHO expression is what sets the theremin apart, if one only cares about pitch one might as well use a midi sequencer...
Posted: 7/16/2011 5:56:47 PM
Eban

Lately I have really been trying to focus on expression. Of course, pitch is a constant struggle, but I found myself playing things very much, well, rigidly. So even when pitch was good it didn't sound very "musical" to me.

I just posted a video in this section ("Brother Can You Spare A Dime") which was the result of me trying to focus mostly on expression (hopefully not too much at the expense of pitch) - might as well put the link here too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpnV_KMK9qs&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.