Height Modified Theremin...

Posted: 11/22/2011 11:09:52 AM
Amethyste

Why do some people get so bent out of shape when a player modify their theremin's height to accomodate their stature?

I am 5'3" (with flats on), a short munchkin. When I bought my Wavefront, the thing was so friggin' high, I couldn't play it comfortably. Standing on a "podium/platform" to play is a big no no. I am almost deaf in my right ear so my equilibrium can be strange at time, I certainly will not take the risk to stand and fall off of it when I play, plus it is just another thing to lug around when you gig!

So yeah, I mauled my Wavefront's legs so I can play it with ease. I put my theremin on different surfaces to gage the most comfortable height, took measurements and then took them to an experienced carpenter to trim them. Believe it or not, the legs had to be taken down to almost 8 inches shorter! Imagine trying to step on a 8 inch tall platform to play? No thanks.

What is more shameful? Have a beautiful theremin kept intact and unplayed that serves as a dust collector, or a theremin that has been modified so that a skilled player can beautifully (hopefully) create sounds and breathe its life from it?

To me, the answer is quite obvious...
Posted: 11/22/2011 11:39:23 AM
RS Theremin

Amey said:

[i]“Why do some people get so bent out of shape when a player modify their theremin's height to accommodate their stature?”[/i]

Many original RCA Theremin owners just cut their legs off completely. This made it more transportable. Your modification is innovative, more like fine tuning to fit the artist.

Why some get bent out of shape is because we are naturally ornery, that is common in the theremin community, I reason because we are all getting older.

I just adore your last CD “Deliverance”. I use to listen to my theremin purr in the background as I developed new ideas, now I play your CD knowing I will capture the spirit of your voice in my custom theremin design. I think I can, I think I can and that will be sooner than later!

Christopher

Posted: 11/22/2011 11:39:35 AM
AlKhwarizmi

In Spain you wouldn't even be considered especially short, the average height of women here is 1.64 m (5'4" if Google isn't lying to me) so you'd only be a bit shorter than average.

On the other hand, I'm 1.96 m tall (6'5" I think...) so maybe I'd need to get a carpenter to enlarge the Wavefront's legs if I had one (at least if the field varies significantly at different heights, which I don't know).
Posted: 11/22/2011 12:12:20 PM
Amethyste

Christopher wrote:

"I just adore your last CD “Deliverance”. I use to listen to my theremin purr in the background as I developed new ideas, now I play your CD knowing I will capture the spirit of your voice in my custom theremin design. I think I can, I think I can and that will be sooner than later!"

ooOoOOoo!!! how exciting you got it! I am so pleased that you also like it. I cannot wait to see your final theremin when all completed and ready for its unveil! THank you so much ~ maybe if you have the time, I'd appreciate you leaving a review on CDbaby (assuming you got it from there)

AlKhwarizmi wrote:

"In Spain you wouldn't even be considered especially short, the average height of women here is 1.64 m (5'4" if Google isn't lying to me) so you'd only be a bit shorter than average."

I am 5'3" on a good day with flats on. So I think I am at most 5 1 1/2 :P And the 1/2 is important. My husband is 6'4". Quite comical when we are seen together. Like David and Goliath.
Posted: 11/22/2011 1:14:38 PM
GordonC

On the positive side, you don't have to stoop to conquer.

Perhaps you could donate your surplus leg ends to a particularly tall thereminist...
Posted: 11/22/2011 3:43:33 PM
Amethyste

I need help to conquer my theremin journey...

How tall are you, Gordon? ;)
Posted: 11/23/2011 3:17:29 AM
GordonC

Five foot eleven and three quarters, but there are days when I feel six feet tall.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.