looking to buy a theremin

Posted: 2/15/2005 10:56:03 PM
Hilton

I also have to suggest the Kees. I bought one several weeks ago and was not disapointed at all. Plus Kees has great customer service. If you ever have any problems he will help you immediately. Thats something to think about. It would be bad to buy a theremin from a non-reputable dealer (this professor television company doesnt sound like a good idea to me) and not be able to fix it should a problem arise.
Posted: 2/16/2005 12:21:33 PM
ThereMan

i have to agree with the 1 antenna theremins sucking...also beware of the b3...if i were you i would skip the bullshit and go for an etherwave, it may be a few hundred more but the quality pays you back
Posted: 2/16/2005 12:22:02 PM
ThereMan

i have to agree with the 1 antenna theremins sucking...also beware of the b3...if i were you i would skip the bullshit and go for an etherwave, it may be a few hundred more but the quality pays you back
Posted: 2/17/2005 4:24:24 PM
RS Theremin

The Silicon Chips theremin referred to, as the Jaycar theremin is an excellent construction project but lacks the finished qualities to make it a controllable and musically pleasing musical instrument.

Never base your final decision on what anyone says, get a sound byte of the instrument you want to purchase that is not camouflaged with reverb and other effects. This will reveal the base from which all your future compositions will rest.

If you can’t find a clean sound byte of your theremin of interest there is a reason, interpret that as an indicator of a theremin that needs further research.

Christopher
Posted: 3/6/2005 2:27:37 PM
Jeff S

"The Kees is just a Jaycar theremin in a nicer box - if you don't believe me, open up the Kees and look at the circuit board."

That may be true to a point. But, the Kees is NOT just a Jaycar in a pretty box. He uses the Jaycar PC board as a starting point (why re-invent the wheel?) but he has made several modifications to improve the sound and playability. Perhaps not everyone likes the sound of it, but I do. While the linearity was not ideal (what do you want for $150.00?), it is certainly good enough to learn on. I'll find out how much better it is soon, since I'm just getting it back from the recent upgrade. I'll let you know what I think.

Being $200.00 less than an Etherwave, the Kees is still a very good instrument for a beginner to start with, especially if you don't know if you have what it takes to become proficient. Besides, if you are only going to be doing sound effects, the Kees more than good enough.

Just an observation. While I regularly see used Moog Etherwaves up for sale on eBay, I've yet to see one used Kees theremin. That must say something.

Personally, I don't care for the sound of the Paia Theremax. To me it sounds like a slide whiste, not a theremin. (Although you can make the same sound on a Etherwave Pro, if you like.) And from what I've heard, it's difficult to play as well. (The range is too great making the playable regions too small.) But, what do you want for $80.00?
Posted: 3/6/2005 11:20:15 PM
Jeff S

Like everyone else I base my opinions and comments on my experiences and the information available to me. One does not have to be a concert violinist, or even own one, to have an opinion on the sound of a violin and the right to express it. I also express my opinion as such, not as fact, by prefacing my statements by using words like "Personally", "In my opinion", "I think", etc.

I base my opinion of the Paia Theremax on the only source sound samples available...on the Paia website. I've listened to them again and my opinion hasn't changed. I also happen to know I am not the only one to share this opinion.
I think the fact that no recording thereminist is playing the Paia Theremax also says something. I have also seen linearity comparisons on most of the well know theremins (a couple by myself), but none on the Theremax. But, I have heard (read) several people comment make the same comments about it, and I have no reason to doubt them.

OK...I made two mistakes...to speak in generalities and not researched the going prices of the Kees and the Etherwave kit before typing my comments. However, I was talking "sale price" not actual costs including shipping. Also, it seems the cuurent going price of the Etherwave kit is $319-$320, althought, with some effort, I found one site still selling them for $299. Even so, the Kees is a fully assembled unit, and the fully assembled Etherwave is selling for $350.
Finally, if one is going to "call someone to the mat", one should double check their math...$300 - $215 = $85.

I'd also like to invite you to join the rest of us and register under a discernable name so that we may know just who we are "speaking" with.
Posted: 3/6/2005 11:51:20 PM
Jeff S

No argument here, but actually, I do know of one.
Howard Mossman had recorded a little ditty called "Kitten On The Kees", but it is no longer posted at Thereminvox.com.
Posted: 3/7/2005 1:12:56 AM
RS Theremin

Howard Mossman reveals his remarkable control at playing the theremin in “Kitten on the Kees”. You will find this piece about one third the way down on my illusion webpage. It is 1.9 megs in size.

http://www.oldtemecula.com/theremin/illusion.htm

Christopher
Posted: 3/7/2005 6:27:01 AM
TomFarrell

Finding the Etherwave kit for $299 was a piece of cake: that's the price via amazon.com. They also have a good price on the standard Etherwave. Of course, then you need stuff to go with it... I did a price comparison on my web site:
http://theremin.tomfarrell.org/buyTheremin.html

Basically, what it comes down to is that if you want to buy a finished Etherwave, stand, amp, cable, and gig bag, you save all of about $5 by buying the instrument elsewhere instead of just buying the complete set from Moog Music, which would presumably be easier. Buying the unfinished Etherwave will save you another $50, if the $50 is important to you. (These prices do not include shipping costs.)
Posted: 3/7/2005 8:19:09 AM
DiggyDog

Just my 2 cents... I LOVE my Etherwave!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.