looking to buy a theremin

Posted: 3/9/2005 9:51:38 PM
Jeff S

On the Etherwave Pro the "Tuner" jack can be used as a pitch preview of sorts. The problem is it is only "on pitch" with the highest register setting. At the lower register settings the tuner output is "in tune" but one or two octaves above the actual theremin output. So, it's not ideal.

According to the Etherwave Pro owners manual they did intend to have a pitch preview by leaking a signal to the headphone jack when the hand is near the volume loop. They apparently abandoned that idea just prior to production as that part of the owners manual was nullified in the included addendum.

HOWEVER, I contacted Moog Music about rewiring the tuner jack to be on pitch. Apparently they decide to resurrect their original plan...for a price. Here's the reply I got...

"As to your 2nd question, the way I understand it, there are two options:

We are implementing a revision to the circuit board of the Etherwave Pro which will enable you to preview pitch through headphones when you place your hand very close to the volume antenna. We will install this revised board in your Etherwave Pro for $175 which includes parts and labor. This will be available in about 2 weeks. Please let me know if you'd like to have this upgrade installed in your Etherwave Pro.

We can send you the technical instructions on how to do the modification that Peter Pringle did to his Etherwave Pro. Please be aware, however, that doing this mod will void your warranty."
Posted: 1/18/2006 12:29:35 PM
Randalls

Hello everybody. Just bought a Kees and it sounds great. This is my 1st theremin and I am looking forward to learning playing styles and finding the "sweet spot". For the money the Kees seems like a bargain.
Since this is my 1st post to this site just wanted to say "hey" and offer my 2 cents. I will be searching past and present for any training tips.
Posted: 1/18/2006 5:58:00 PM
GordonC

Hey Randalls,

There's a few of us here got Kees' in the last few months.

This is a great place for training tips. :-)

Looking forward to hearing your 2 cents!

Gordon

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.