Too many topics

Posted: 2/22/2005 11:28:11 AM
Cortex 007

With hundreds of topic boxes, it's tedious to navigate. One winds up looking for an old thread about fx boxes, for example, from 2 years prior.
some topics are redundant and the user is unaware of the same conversation months prior. do you think along side the free for all some fixed topics with regular purges would help. I'm in the market for a new amp and careening through the fora is a vertiginous experience.
Posted: 2/22/2005 11:32:29 AM
Jason

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've seen other forums that have a "sticky thread" feature - basically the post stays at the top of the topics list in a forum regardless of when it was last touched. It's a lightweight FAQ mechanism. I can implement that to help.

I'm also working on a forums search feature and adding paging to the topics list (so you only see 10-20 topics and then get a "next" button).

I'd love to hear any other thoughts you have...
Posted: 2/22/2005 5:10:54 PM
Cortex 007

Jason, you take all of this on so graciously..thanks

There are so many topics related to theremin type, amp type, fx, sound processing (EQ/compression)......maybe a monthly profile of an individual thereminist that addresses one individuals' thereminology
...when they started to play
...what instrument(s) they use
...what amp
...favorite fx
...sound processing/recording methods
...how they developed their fingering technique
...If they play out...stage set up
...recording samples
It seems that the value some have had with peter pringle is that he has answered these questions in somewhat of an organized manor. It would be valuable as well to hear from others perhaps less orthodox playing through an analog synth or other.
Having a player every once in a while answer a gauntlet of these questions would be great.Remember those Dewar's Scotch profiles,e.g., favorite food, last book read...
Posted: 2/22/2005 5:29:25 PM
TomFarrell

I think making "sticky" topics would just make it difficult to navigate. How about making a topic index instead? You could just manually add things to it when someone says something you think is worthy of being indexed, and let other messages slide...

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.